MVB won't turn on!

JohnnyBoyTaylor

Just set up my table, very proud of it but the MVB won't turn on!

Do they blow easy?
Do they have no specific polarity such as normal household bulbs?

I've got it set up next to a ceramic bulb which will come on a night. I know MVB's won't turn straight back on if they've just been on at full heat and been turned off. Could the heat from the ceramic be making it do the same?

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Will it turn on when you plug into another outlet? If it does it has to do with your timer.

Hard to help without pictures of your set up. We are in the dark here (no pun intended).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Step 1: try plugging the mvb lamp into a different power socket - if it works there's a problem with the original socket

Step 2: Try using another bulb in the MVB lamp holder - if it works the MVB bulb has failed

Step 3: Try using the MVB bulb in another lamp holder. Any will do. It need only be on for a second. If it works then you know the lamp holder has failed. If there's a fuse in the plug try changing that, but I have had the ceramic lamp holder itself fail.

They do fail. Sometimes you get unlucky. Sometimes the bulb has been dropped by the store and is broken on arrival but you can't see.

JohnnyBoyTaylor

Will it turn on when you plug into another outlet? If it does it has to do with your timer.

Hard to help without pictures of your set up. We are in the dark here (no pun intended).

It's not on a timer and yes I've tried another socket!

JohnnyBoyTaylor

Step 1: try plugging the mvb lamp into a different power socket - if it works there's a problem with the original socket

Step 2: Try using another bulb in the MVB lamp holder - if it works the MVB bulb has failed

Step 3: Try using the MVB bulb in another lamp holder. Any will do. It need only be on for a second. If it works then you know the lamp holder has failed. If there's a fuse in the plug try changing that, but I have had the ceramic lamp holder itself fail.

They do fail. Sometimes you get unlucky. Sometimes the bulb has been dropped by the store and is broken on arrival but you can't see.

I tried another socket but will try a normal bulb in it as you suggested. How long does one normal take to turn on and light up?

Would the heat from the ceramic bulb next to it not effect/stop it?

It did flash when I first plugged it in, does that indicate anything?

JohnnyBoyTaylor

Tried a normal bulb and it worked! Tried the MVB and it doesn't. The ceramic is off at the moment so if heat from the other bulb is an issue I'll soon know.

I haven't used these before so don't know how long they take to light/warm up. After 5 mins I'll jist guess I need another MVB tomorrow!?

stevenf625

5 Year Member
self ballasted Mv Bulbs typically have a safety shut off feature that will turn the bulb off for 15 minutes.

Variations in voltage supplied or overheating will set it off.
The safety can be very sensitivei.e., I've tripped off a bulb once simply by wiggling the power plug too much while plugging it into the wall.

Put the bulb in socket turn power on and wait 15 minutes, dont touch the bulb hood or the power chord, chances are the bulb with turn on

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I thought I'd broken my first mvb when I switched it off then tried to put it straight back on.
It did come back on after a while though and that's why they don't work with thermostats.
They are quite delicate and won't take any shaking or knocking about so handle with care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can't screw the bulb in too tight. Also, because they're self ballasted, if it turns on then for some reason you turn it off, or it turns off, you have to wait a few minutes for it to cool before it will turn on again.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Are you sure it is a self-ballasted bulb? My first MVB didn't turn on as well, so I thought it was broken. Turned out to be a MVB that needs a ballast, and therefore it didn't work in a normal ceramic socket.