Mouth stays open

Markp

Hi all.can anyone help me plz as my tort constantly has its mouth open when its awake
Thanks

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Could be a respiratory infection, when it can't breathe through its nostrils it opens its mouth instead.

What temperature is it in the enclosure? What temp is the basking spot, warm side and cool side? Nighttime temps?

Pictures of the enclosure could help as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tort do you have? Answer the posts above and includ pics of enclosure and the torts mouth front and side view.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Thanks for the pic! However, we still need a picture of the enclosure you have your tort in.

As a side note, has he had his eyes closed since he has been opening his mouth?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He sure looks sick, I would take him to a good reptile vet ASAP.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Eyes swelled shut and mouth breathing. Typical signs of a respiratory infection. I'm willing to bet your temperature is too low. Turn up the heat and take that tort to the vet.

FYI. If the vet is not a reptile vet the first thing they're going to want to do is give your tortoise a vitamin A injection. DO NOT LET THEM. It is super easy to kill a tortoise by OD them on vitamin A.

Bee62

Germany
I am the same opinion as @tortdad . Your tort has a RI.
Your tortoise looks very sick. Please take her to the VET ASAP.

Markp

No eyes been closed the last day or two and the enclosire is clean wood shavings and is a big hamster type. Thanks guys

Bee62

Germany
No eyes been closed the last day or two and the enclosire is clean wood shavings and is a big hamster type. Thanks guys

Can you please upload some pics of the enclosure ? I think it is too cold in your hamster cage for a tortoise.
Please believe, we want to help your tortoise, not to condemn you !

Markp

Shes going vets tomorrow if she lasts the night.not eaten for 2 days either weve been batheing her with luke warm water

Markp

Can you please upload some pics of the enclosure ? I think it is too cold in your hamster cage for a tortoise.
Please believe, we want to help your tortoise, not to condemn you !
Im not worried about what ppl think of me im concerned about the tort tbh i will take a pic now and post it.as the enclosure was reccomended

Markp

Picture

Attachments

• 14951456574981353034940.jpg
    14951456574981353034940.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

Markp

Picture 2

Attachments

• 14951457374021533987741.jpg
    14951457374021533987741.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
That enclosure is way too small for your turtle. A minimum of 8 feet by 4 feet is recommended, but the bigger the better. Wood chips are also very drying, either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir works great. Doesn't seem like you have water in there as well. No hide either. Both of these things are necessary. What type of bulb is that? You need a UVB bulb, that may be a bit too close to the tortoise's shell, but that might just be the angle of the pictures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the tortoise has a respiratory infection because it has been kept too cold.

Markp

You have a lot to change. Firstly, you should not keep both of your tortoises together, especially with their large difference in size. Also, as stated above, that enclosure is much too small and dry.

Here is a care sheet for Russian tortoises:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
The other tort is an ornament.the water was removed earlier and yes i agree its small enclosure as weve just moved house so his normall keep is a lot bigger i wanted it to ne smsller whilst gort is ill incase it was to cold for him. The shavings i will deffo change thank you for that tip and no i havent used hide for a while and rotally forgot to replace it