Mouse exterminator poison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
So who knows, maybe instead of killing the mice we can sell them to science. I am pretty sure there is one person out there who wants to study a sewer mouse. I mean they are living things too, right?
I'd catch them alive to learn the house pet safest way to kill them…

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This would be my fear with poison. My Baxter is a very superb hunting machine even catching Humming-Birds on an annual basis. I would feel like crap if I contributed to getting him sick from eating an easy meal of poisoned mouse. View attachment 202225 When I come home, if he's outside he walks out to the gates as I open them to greet me home. Then follows my car while I park it and waits on the porch for me.
Right there with ya!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489641081.864676.jpg

JamesP

I don't think it is worth our breathe to continue to speak to him. Clearly he doesn't see the humor in what you are saying. Nor does he believe this is a debatable topic since he thinks his way is the only correct way. In my opinion, which doesn't really matter to him, I think poison traps are the worse because not only do the mice suffer for days, not hours, they also harm other animals if eaten.

There is a difference between a pet mouse and a sewer mouse as sad as it sounds. However a person like him who has access to a forest preserve, doesn't understand the struggles of living in a big city where all animals carry diseases and you have to be careful with what enters your house. May I add that there is no bus that goes to a forest preserve.

So who knows, maybe instead of killing the mice we can sell them to science. I am pretty sure there is one person out there who wants to study a sewer mouse. I mean they are living things too, right?
I don't see the humour in animal cruelty.

If someone wants to "debate" that it's ethically okay to force an animal to slowly and painfully die when there are more humane alternatives on hand, then by all means. It'll be showed up for the heartless nonsense that it is.

I do not live in the middle of a big city, but I have friends who do. They've released mice before at the local park with no trouble. So please do not pretend to know what I do or do not understand.

Rodents such has rats have mice have been extensively studied for centuries. There's nothing to gain from "donating" a sewer mouse.

Last edited:

JamesP

I was being facetious. I would much rather see them caught in any traps than being poisoned. They crawl off die in walls, stink up everything or some animal eats them and gets sick and then spreads more disease. Yes it's a very debatable topic.
Are you aware of what the debate actually is?

I'm saying it is wrong to catch an animal such as a mouse on a glue trap, and deliberately allow it to suffer a slow and agonising death. That's the point I have been making the entire time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is an advice thread concerning the use of poison in a property. It is NOT a debate thread on the ethics of different rodent control methods.

There is a separate forum for debatable topics. This thread should be left to the original topic in my opinion.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This would be my fear with poison. My Baxter is a very superb hunting machine even catching Humming-Birds on an annual basis. I would feel like crap if I contributed to getting him sick from eating an easy meal of poisoned mouse. View attachment 202225 When I come home, if he's outside he walks out to the gates as I open them to greet me home. Then follows my car while I park it and waits on the porch for me.
At one time, we put that blue poison out to kill mouse, only under the house where our pets couldn't get. The poison doesn't kill them quickly so the mice can be anywhere when they die. My puppy ate a dying mouse. We were really worried. The vet said he would probably be okay since he was a large breed and didn't ingest that much poison. We stopped using the poison after that, and he lived to 14 years. I would really worry if it happened to a cat, being much smaller than my dog.

JamesP

This is an advice thread concerning the use of poison in a property. It is NOT a debate thread on the ethics of different rodent control methods.

There is a separate forum for debatable topics. This thread should be left to the original topic in my opinion.
It's a pest control thread. Discussing ethics and solutions go hand-in-hand.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It's a pest control thread. Discussing ethics and solutions go hand-in-hand.

Hi @JamesP, you're new here so you haven't picked up the forum culture yet. Typically, we let the OP set the scope for the thread. If they feel a line of discussion is off topic, then we aim to respect that and not derail the thread with the unwanted discussion. If you have important things to say on a topic but it has been deemed off topic, you make your own thread and can share them there.

Buddytheboxie

@SarahChelonoidis
Is there away to turn off the comments on a thread or to delete this all together? My concern has been addressed and I have told him to move over to the Debatable Topics thread, but he feels he doesn't have to. I have tried to handle this the best that I can, but I feel this is getting out of hand. I don't wish to continue to have a discussion, if it is even considered that, with him. If you don't know how please point me to the person who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.