Mouse exterminator poison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddytheboxie

Any spray that would be toxic enough to kill a mouse will also kill any other mammal. There is NO WAY I would let anyone spray toxic poisonous chemicals into my living space. I wouldn't even let them in the building.

You had better warn your mother that birds are extremely sensitive to any airborne chemical or fumes. These people spraying poison outside your door in the hallway is likely going to be enough to kill her birds.

No thank you. The mice can be controlled in many other ways without resorting to poisoning the entire building. There are lots of effective do-it-yourself mousetraps, as well as many available for purchase on line. Do a google or YouTube search. I've used the bucket traps at my ranch and they work amazingly well. We've trapped a dozen every night before, and we did it with no toxic chemicals. They also sell traps at the hardware store, and most of them work well. Poison is not the answer.

Thank you! Yes I have been talking to her about it and she is now onboard that if they are using the spray then they are not entering our apartment. However we can not stop them for the whole building. If they are using other traps or those pellets then my mom said they can come in, we just won't let the animals out for a while. But she is now staying away from the spray she doesn't care what the owner says.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
There are many ways to make your own type of "poison"Google rats and corn meal and you will find it many recipes. They usually contain some combination of cornmeal baking soda plaster of Paris.

JamesP

Oh I put it in a bag tied it and threw it in the garbage. I would never feed these to my babies.
I'm sorry, but why did you throw a living creature into the garbage? I found this post a little off-putting.

Glue traps are notoriously cruel. Trapped animals will struggle so much that they'll severely injure themselves. Here is an information sheet on how cruel they are. Please humanely put the animal out of its misery, or get a parent to, before throwing it away. It is a living creature, not a piece of garbage.

I would also advise against using glue traps in the first place due to the level of cruelty it inflicts on animals. I know mice are pests, but they can't help being mice, they don't deserve to be stuck on a board to slowly die. Stick with quick-kill traps or catch and release. I know this topic might seem controversial, but I have to point out that what you did was... well... cruel and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Buddytheboxie

I'm sorry, but why did you throw a living creature into the garbage? I found this post a little off-putting.

Glue traps are notoriously cruel. Trapped animals will struggle so much that they'll severely injure themselves. Here is an information sheet on how cruel they are. Please humanely put the animal out of its misery, or get a parent to, before throwing it away. It is a living creature, not a piece of garbage.

I would also advise against using glue traps in the first place due to the level of cruelty it inflicts on animals. I know mice are pests, but they can't help being mice, they don't deserve to be stuck on a board to slowly die. Stick with quick-kill traps or catch and release. I know this topic might seem controversial, but I have to point out that what you did was... well... cruel and unnecessary.
Because this is a controversial topic and because I saw what you first wrote I am not going to justify what I have done. However I will say this, I am doing everything that I can to both protect my animals and please the owners of this apartment when it comes to getting rid of these mice. I know that they are living creatures like you and I and that they are doing what they do naturally. I also know that the human race is similar to mice at being pest to the world and all that lives in it. However I came to this site seeking for help on how to protect my companions not to be judged on how I go about doing it. I am sorry if my posted offended you or if my response is not what you wanted to hear. Again, I am not here to justify my actions.

Ps. I don't use the traps that snap and break necks because I almost snapped my fingers multiple times. My father is the only one who knows how to use it and he is currently out of the state. In addition, catch and release does not work unless you are taking the captured mice to the other side of the city to be someone else's problem.

Last edited:

JamesP

Because this is a controversial topic and because I saw what you first wrote I am not going to justify what I have done. However I will say this, I am doing everything that I can to both protect my animals and please the owners of this apartment when it comes to getting rid of these mice. I know that they are living creatures like you and I and that they are doing what they do naturally. I also know that the human race is similar to mice at being pest to the world and all that lives in it. However I came to this site seeking for help on how to protect my companions not to be judged on how I go about doing it. I am sorry if my posted offended you or if my response is not what you wanted to hear. Again, I am not here to justify my actions.

Ps. I don't use the traps that snap and break necks because I almost snapped my fingers multiple times. My father is the only one who knows how to use it and he is currently out of the state. In addition, catch and release does not work unless you are taking the captured mice to the other side of the city to be someone else's problem.
I know you won't because doing that to an animal cannot be justified. At all. No matter how much the animal is hated and is a pest to some. Cruelty to animals should be taken seriously, whether it's intentional or it's done by accident. That way, people can learn how to avoid it. That way, you can learn from it. Which is precisely why I think shying away from the topic is counter-productive.

If you didn't want to be judged on how you go about doing it, then perhaps you should have kept that information to yourself. I couldn't let that one go, sorry. The only reason I went hard on it is because I was horrified when I read it. I have seen numerous animals on glue traps before, in a terrible state. The stuff of nightmares. I've worked in wildlife rehab before and I've rescued many rodents, birds and reptiles from them. Even the occasional pet. I just wanted you to understand that it's irresponsible to use that trap in the manner which you did, and understand how cruel they really are. My conscience told me I could not be silent on the issue. I am actually disappointed no one brought it up earlier.

Let this be a lesson for you I guess. Hopefully next time you won't throw a live, trapped animal into the garbage. They can really suffer on these things.

PS. Catch and release works just fine if you have a nature reserve nearby. If you release the animal, you won't know how it will end up for certain, so I think saying that it'll be someone else's problem is going a bit too "butterfly effect" here. Especially considering there'd be plenty of mice that it wouldn't make much of a difference. Regardless, the point I'm making is that killing them should involve minimal suffering, especially when you have them already caught.

Last edited:

JamesP

In closing, I'd like to post this video from the Humane Society. This one is based in the UK. WARNING - this may be distressing to some viewers as it shows animals suffering:
I'd just like to get out there that this is the kind of thing that happens on glue traps. Also considering this is a pest control thread, it is very much relevant as it shows people how this kind of trap actually works. It gives a more informed choice.

Personally, I'd like to see glue traps outlawed.

JamesP

Hey @JamesP, why don't you make an introduction post to tell us about yourself. What kind of tortoises do you keep?
I'm actually going to post an intro thread soon about myself, just that this thread caught my eye because of past bad experiences.

I actually don't have any tortoises, but I'm planning I getting a couple, which is why I'm here!

Buddytheboxie

@JamesP
Thank you for all of that information, if you wish to keep debating this topic maybe you should consider moving over to the Debatable Topics Thread. I am sure someone will be interested in having this debate with you. I, however, am not that person.
Also just to let know I decided to take your advice and get rid of the traps. However I am borrowing a friend's cat and letting nature take is course. If you have any problems with that you can take it up with the cat or in your new thread in the Debatable Topics thread.
Have a good day sir.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
@JamesP
Thank you for all of that information, if you wish to keep debating this topic maybe you should consider moving over to the Debatable Topics Thread. I am sure someone will be interested in having this debate with you. I, however, am not that person.
Also just to let know I decided to take your advice and get rid of the traps. However I am borrowing a friend's cat and letting nature take is course. If you have any problems with that you can take it up with the cat or in your new thread in the Debatable Topics thread.
Have a good day sir.
Well said!! Got plenty of glue traps and other means in our barn to eliminate mice and won't stop using them.

Maybe we should catch them and sell them to labs doing research

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Any spray that would be toxic enough to kill a mouse will also kill any other mammal. There is NO WAY I would let anyone spray toxic poisonous chemicals into my living space. I wouldn't even let them in the building.

You had better warn your mother that birds are extremely sensitive to any airborne chemical or fumes. These people spraying poison outside your door in the hallway is likely going to be enough to kill her birds.

No thank you. The mice can be controlled in many other ways without resorting to poisoning the entire building. There are lots of effective do-it-yourself mousetraps, as well as many available for purchase on line. Do a google or YouTube search. I've used the bucket traps at my ranch and they work amazingly well. We've trapped a dozen every night before, and we did it with no toxic chemicals. They also sell traps at the hardware store, and most of them work well. Poison is not the answer.
I totally agree with and endorse all this! NO spray. Please!!! Totally true too about the birds being EXTREMELY SENSITIVE....but you humans and all the other animals will be at risk.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I have almost the same problem. I own a fantastic 150 yr. old Queen Anne couch that has been living in my garage for about ten years. I've seen no mouse signs but I'm sure some are there. The problem for me is I have a cat. I'd love to poison the rodents but I don't want my cat to become ill! Ideas? Thanks…

Buddytheboxie

I totally agree with and endorse all this! NO spray. Please!!! Totally true too about the birds being EXTREMELY SENSITIVE....but you humans and all the other animals will be at risk.
Good news!!! They came and they didn't use the spray!!!! They told us that as long as we keep an eye on our animals when they are exploring and make sure they don't go in the traps then they will be perfectly safe!!

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
If you end up having to deal with the use of poisons; I would suggest you contact a teacher at a local school....ask if you can set up your animal(s) there while poisons are being used; and keep them there until the poisons have become inert. Grade school teachers; or high school biology teachers are a good bet. Also one low impact way I used to get rid of mice was setting up a deep trash can with a board as a stair well going out over the opening. In the bottom of trash can you can bait it will bird seeds; or bits of toast with peanut butter on them. The mice will climb the board and jump into the trash can to get the food; but cannot get themselves back out. You can then choose a quick and human euthanasia; or relocate to a wildlife area. Although it should be noted that most relocated rodents are usually picked off by predators in the area.

JamesP

@JamesP
Have a good day sir.
I don't think what I said is debatable at all.

Good to see you got rid of the glue traps. Hopefully this information was enlightening for you.

JamesP

Maybe we should catch them and sell them to labs doing research
No lab is going to accept wild mice because their behaviour and biology are completely unpredictable. Lab mice are completely placid and sterile, and are bred for this very reason (unless you include those bred for various genetic dispositions).

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
No lab is going to accept wild mice because their behaviour and biology are completely unpredictable. Lab mice are completely placid and sterile, and are bred for this very reason (unless you include those bred for various genetic dispositions).
I was being facetious. I would much rather see them caught in any traps than being poisoned. They crawl off die in walls, stink up everything or some animal eats them and gets sick and then spreads more disease. Yes it's a very debatable topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buddytheboxie

I was being facetious. I would much rather see them caught in any traps than being poisoned. They crawl off die in walls, stink up everything or some animal eats them and gets sick and then spreads more disease. Yes it's a very debatable topic.
I don't think it is worth our breathe to continue to speak to him. Clearly he doesn't see the humor in what you are saying. Nor does he believe this is a debatable topic since he thinks his way is the only correct way. In my opinion, which doesn't really matter to him, I think poison traps are the worse because not only do the mice suffer for days, not hours, they also harm other animals if eaten.

There is a difference between a pet mouse and a sewer mouse as sad as it sounds. However a person like him who has access to a forest preserve, doesn't understand the struggles of living in a big city where all animals carry diseases and you have to be careful with what enters your house. May I add that there is no bus that goes to a forest preserve.

So who knows, maybe instead of killing the mice we can sell them to science. I am pretty sure there is one person out there who wants to study a sewer mouse. I mean they are living things too, right?

Buddytheboxie

If you end up having to deal with the use of poisons; I would suggest you contact a teacher at a local school....ask if you can set up your animal(s) there while poisons are being used; and keep them there until the poisons have become inert. Grade school teachers; or high school biology teachers are a good bet. Also one low impact way I used to get rid of mice was setting up a deep trash can with a board as a stair well going out over the opening. In the bottom of trash can you can bait it will bird seeds; or bits of toast with peanut butter on them. The mice will climb the board and jump into the trash can to get the food; but cannot get themselves back out. You can then choose a quick and human euthanasia; or relocate to a wildlife area. Although it should be noted that most relocated rodents are usually picked off by predators in the area.

No worries! As bad as I feel for my little ones they will not be getting outside of their cages. Buddy, my turtle, will be coming out for his daily soaks, but then promptly returned back to his cage afterwards. My anole hates being outside of his tank so no worries there, and my hamster will be watched like a hawk while he roams in his hamster ball around safe areas. So until we collect all of the traps and free of mice my babies will temporarily suffer like my family until they are gone or until the weather is better and I take them outside. I also do not trust my schools with my babies(personal reasons). I trust one 2 people outside of my family and they are both out of the state :(

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Traps than being poisoned. some animal eats them and gets sick.
This would be my fear with poison. My Baxter is a very superb hunting machine even catching Humming-Birds on an annual basis. I would feel like crap if I contributed to getting him sick from eating an easy meal of poisoned mouse. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489640658.698838.jpg When I come home, if he's outside he walks out to the gates as I open them to greet me home. Then follows my car while I park it and waits on the porch for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.