Mouse exterminator poison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddytheboxie

okay so there is a mouse problem in my apartment and the owner of the building is bringing in exterminators. I just found out that the are going to be putting a spray around the inside of our apartment and in the rooms. My box turtle is not my only pet. I have him, an anole, a superworm colony(or at least trying to make one), and a hamster. Should I have the exterminators stay away from my room? None of the cages are on the floor. If they spray on the floor would it affect my babies? Please help! The last thing I want is for any of my pets to die! Buddy has been in my life for 10+ years turning 24 at the end of this month and the others have been with me for a year!

Buddytheboxie

If you have a choice, id vote Two Thumbs down and a BIG NO to the exterminator. Sounds like a recipe for a major disaster. Opt out!
Okay so far my mom wants them to come into the house (I don't blame her these evil things are everywhere!!) but I think I can convince her to keep the exterminators out of my room. Would my babies be safe if they spray outside of the room, but not inside?

Buddytheboxie

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, especially for the hamster.

Can mouse poison be laid rather than spraying? In the UK I use bait traps like these
It can however it is not working. We think one or two of them were pregnant because all of a sudden a ton of baby ones are roaming around. We have tried glue traps, the snapping traps, and my neighbor is doing the pellets. Like our last resort was the spray but it has come down to it. My neighbor is a huge animal lover and loves all of my pets but this is out of hand. As I write this one little stinker just walked past me like if he owned the house!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I would suggest finding out the spray, sprays are not actually a good effective way to get rid of them.

"While there are mouse repellent liquids, solids, and even electronic devices on the market, there is no scientific evidence presented by the manufacturers that any mouse repellent spray has widespread value. There are no government requirements that these products must be proven effective before they are brought to market. Therefore, even credible consumer commerce sites advertise mouse repellent sprays. In some cases, these products are sold with the promise to get rid of existing infestations. These sprays might irritate the mouse for a few seconds by using chemicals such as natural oils, but the mice soon find a way around or through the treated areas."

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It can however it is not working. We think one or two of them were pregnant because all of a sudden a ton of baby ones are roaming around. We have tried glue traps, the snapping traps, and my neighbor is doing the pellets. Like our last resort was the spray but it has come down to it. My neighbor is a huge animal lover and loves all of my pets but this is out of hand. As I write this one little stinker just walked past me like if he owned the house!
They are brazen little wotsits. There were some outside our local supermarket the other evening that I swear I could have hand fed if I wanted. No fear whatsoever.

Buddytheboxie

Thank you everyone! I have told all of this to my mother(who has the final say) and she said that she is going to talk to the exterminators when they arrive. She is going to tell them if there is something they can do other than the spray since we have asthmatics and pets in the house. If they can't then they will spray outside of our doors and she will continue to put traps down because our babies come first (even if they drive her nuts).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's at all possible, just take all your enclosures out of the apartment while they spray. Maybe you can just put them in your car? Or take them to a friend's house? You know darned good and well, if there's an area in your apartment you don't allow them to treat, then YOU are the one they're going to blame for the mouse problem.

Buddytheboxie

They are brazen little wotsits. There were some outside our local supermarket the other evening that I swear I could have hand fed if I wanted. No fear whatsoever.
Seriously! I just caught one and it is the tiniest little thing. My turtle could eat it!

Buddytheboxie

If it's at all possible, just take all your enclosures out of the apartment while they spray. Maybe you can just put them in your car? Or take them to a friend's house? You know darned good and well, if there's an area in your apartment you don't allow them to treat, then YOU are the one they're going to blame for the mouse problem.
They could blame all they want lol my mom will fight them back (scary Puerto Rican momma) but we also have two blue front amazons that are my moms babies that are in a 5ft tall 4ft long cage that we can't move out of the house :/ and the male parrot hates being handled...... that was my first thought and my mom doesn't want to risk them getting sick with the cold bipolar weather here.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Also, on the day they plan to spray, IF that happens, Id take a large wet bath towel and place it firmly against the crack under your bedroom door. Seal that space as best you can, either from the inside or out. Spray will sink down and spread out, seeping right under your door and into your rooms. Has to be a better way to rid them rascals from your home!

Buddytheboxie

Also, on the day they plan to spray, IF that happens, Id take a large wet bath towel and place it firmly against the crack under your bedroom door. Seal that space as best you can, either from the inside or out. Spray will sink down and spread out, seeping right under your door and into your rooms. Has to be a better way to rid them rascals from your home!
I shall definitely do that and my mom is going to talk to them

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
We had a mouse problem when we lived in the country. We tried everything. We would kill a few but they would just come back. Then we got a cat. Problem solved.

There are so many feral cats where I live currently that I think the mouse population has been exterminated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any spray that would be toxic enough to kill a mouse will also kill any other mammal. There is NO WAY I would let anyone spray toxic poisonous chemicals into my living space. I wouldn't even let them in the building.

You had better warn your mother that birds are extremely sensitive to any airborne chemical or fumes. These people spraying poison outside your door in the hallway is likely going to be enough to kill her birds.

No thank you. The mice can be controlled in many other ways without resorting to poisoning the entire building. There are lots of effective do-it-yourself mousetraps, as well as many available for purchase on line. Do a google or YouTube search. I've used the bucket traps at my ranch and they work amazingly well. We've trapped a dozen every night before, and we did it with no toxic chemicals. They also sell traps at the hardware store, and most of them work well. Poison is not the answer.

Buddytheboxie

We had a mouse problem when we lived in the country. We tried everything. We would kill a few but they would just come back. Then we got a cat. Problem solved.

There are so many feral cats where I live currently that I think the mouse population has been exterminated.

I tried!! Haha that was the first thing! But my sister is deathly allergic and so am I... I tried asking my friends if I could borrow their cats for a weekend but one cats hates people and the other cat plays with them but doesn't kill them -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.