Most personable species?

Oscar_Smith

I'm just so interested to see what y'all think. To clarify, I mean outgoing, won't hide in its shell while you approach, etc. My personal opinion is Russians, because Oscar never hesitates to run up to me (for food, of course)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm sorry Oscarbut you must only have Russians cause they will part to let you walk through their enclosure so will Hermanns Evan leopards but you step in to my Marginals enclosure the mail will give you a hard time as if you forgot to knock before you walked in ! And they never put their heads in their shell .

Iochroma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
So Grandpa, does that mean you think Marginateds are the most personable?

sunshyne621

5 Year Member
Red foots!!! My girl is so funny and bossy. Never pulls her head in and is always waiting for her food. She sees you coming up are stairs and comes right to the edge of her enclosure.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Tortoises are great! I've only had two Cherry Heads, and my close friend has Sulcata's and Yellow foots, so I'm no expert on tortoises. I love the box turtles best. I've never had one that didn't have an outgoing personality. They make me laugh every day.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Manouria emys emys. They're like my Labradors! Except for the fur part.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know, I think I would have to go with Aldabra. I am basing this purely on all ALDABRAMAN's posts. They even seem less destructive and therefore easier keepers then sulcata. But they may also be less tolerant of colder or drier climates.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
some Russians are pretty brave. this is what sparky does when you put your hand in there. hope this link works

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I only have Russians so my immediate answer without much thinking was Russian, my Nank is a ball of personality.
But with so many Russians coming from the wild, ones from pet stores can either adapt (like Nank did) or pretty much be timid of everything... I've heard of people owning Russians with the personality of a rock.

I think through what I've seen on the forum I'd personally put sulcatas up at the top, with a lot of that being on @maggie3fan 's Bob, he may just be the most personable of the most personable species :)

But I also believe every individual tortoise is different, just like people some are shy some are not. Some like people, some not so much.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
In my experience, nothing compares to the personality of an Indian Star tortoise.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have to say red foots . My reds can be sleeping I open the door all of them fight to the front . Then the sulcatas . Harry will follow me around . Sally has only been here a short time but she loves my wife . She will walk right up to her no matter what she was doing . Then as for turtles I'd have to give that to my red ear siders .