1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Moss

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Substrate' started by erinlyndon, Dec 29, 2016.

1. erinlyndon

erinlyndon Member

Hi, just wanted to know if it is safe to put moss in a tortoise enclosure. I've already got sphagnum moss but i wanted to grow some in it too, i'm not sure what it is called but it looks like this:

Attached Files:

Pearly likes this.
  2. RosieTortoise

RosieTortoise Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I have this in my yard. I'd love to know if it was okay too. I may be getting a redfoot and I feel like this would help emulate her natural habitat.
    Pearly likes this.
  3. yillt

yillt Well-Known Member

Sphagnum moss is the most prominent type in tortoises enclosures.

I see that moss in my garden but I have never used it in the tortoise cage. Until some more experienced member replies, I would stick with Sphagnum moss for now. If you were to use that, you'd need to check it was clean, not riddled with bugs and you'd need to find a pesticide free area to source it from. :)
    Pearly likes this.
  4. richosullivan

richosullivan Active Member

Found this thread with multiple people claiming it is safe:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/moss-question.143099/
    Pearly likes this.
  5. Pearly

Pearly Well-Known Member

. Not only just "safe"! It's very nice, esthetically pleasing and what's most important: has great ability to hold humidity in your terrarium
    yes, myself and few other members here have been using different kinds if moss as substrate top layer for a while. I personally LOVE the looks of it. It's great for baby torts, keeps them cleaner, their mouth/nose/eyes... the water dish... i like that. Now, bigger torts will probably bulldoze whatever decorative/soft/pretty/natural "carpet" you put in there bcs that's what our torts do: they are like land sharks to beautifully landscaped enclosures. Advise to our new members with young baby torts: enjoy planting your indoor enclosures while you can, for the time is coming where no plant, no landscaped hill/valley/cave will stand. They will LEVEL IT ALL DOWN. And that's ok, that's a sign of a strong healthy tortoise. My babies are 19 months old and I still use some moss indoors, but only around their food stones, water dish and inside/and around their hides. They became very "creative" remodelers and I no longer worry about the "pretty aspect".
    Good point. Make sure the place wasn't treated with some pesticides before you harverst the moss. I wish we had more moss growing around. I would totally play with it in my garden/landscapes but in my area it is too hot and too dry for moss to grow. Enjoy yours!
  6. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Every time I try to use long fibered sphagnum moss, my tortoises all try to eat it. I can't use it. I know for sure they would eat that green growing moss. That type of moss needs cool damp conditions. Not right for a russian tortoise.
    Pearly likes this.
  7. erinlyndon

erinlyndon Member

Thanks for all the replies :)
    Pearly likes this.
  8. Pearly

Pearly Well-Known Member

That is exactly why I have to replace patches of mine every few weeks. The only time i see mine being consumed by my torts is when a piece gets dragged onto their food pile.
    erinlyndon likes this.