moringa oleifera

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This last Tuesday I was able to buy about 3/4 pound of Moringa as short branches with leaves. I think the way it grows is interesting, sorta fractile.

Anyhow, I put it in water over night much like cut flowers and fed it out the next morning. Mixed results on tortoises eating it. Egyptians so-so, Forstens, some loved it some didn't acknowledge it, about the same for the pancakes. Speke's hingebacks ate it for the most part. P. planicauda ate it, but frnakly they seem willing to eat anything. Of the Forstens, those that readily eat mulberry leaves (the "I am a caterpillar" girl from another post), sucked them down.

At $6.99 a pound for the fresh leaves, it's not worth it to me. I can get a dried two pound bag for $30, which is a much better economy as I sprinkle it into the salad preparation along with wetted-dry or fresh chopped grass. I think it's a good food item to consider and use, but so far the dry has been okay. Longer term results are needed, even as I am only paying subjective attention, it seems to be okay. No major change in urate production, not 'more' eggs either, but I have a small sample too.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
I was also able to buy these as fresh cut leaves at an area ethnic grocery store I often visit to find novel foods for myself and my animals. My small platynota group took to it immediately and seem to eat it about as readily as local weeds like dandelions or plantain. I plan to add it to the rotation, especially over the winter when free stuff from the yard is in short supply. At around $7/lb and sold here only in large bunches equivalent to about 25 tortoise-servings, it's a little expensive to feed all the time, but I'll see if I can dry or freeze the excess for later.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
We can easily grow moringa in south FL. I'm constantly chopping it back. You can even cut it to the ground and it will send up multiple shoots. I feed it sparingly due to its high levels of protein, vitamins and minerals. Most of mine Love it and a few others will pick at it.
I add a few leaves to green smoothies and also feed it sparingly to the birds I raise as well as add it to enrich the compost pile.