Monster Snapping Turtle

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hey guys,

I know this isn't a tortoise, but I know Snappers are one of those universal animals that everyone can appreciate. Anyway, I took a handful of members of the community center that I run, out for a day filled with activities that I like to do. I spotted this feel in the water and wasn't going to miss my opportunity to show everyone how fun "turtling" could be. This was a big boy, and his claws did a number on my poor hands.

Just to give everyone an idea of how big this fella was, I am 6'8" tall and 330 pounds.

Thanks for looking,

Anthony

Attachments

• DSC01194.JPG
    DSC01194.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC01198.JPG
    DSC01198.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01195.JPG
    DSC01195.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 97

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That little old lady looks like she's going to beat one of you with that stick. I too, was impressed by the size of the tail.

M

Maggie Cummings

Holy Cow, Anthony...his claws heck. One that big can bite your hand off at the shoulder! Thanks for showing us. Turtles are just as important as tortoises...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
He's neat, nice pics, You don't see the large males often, here at the beach the larger females are a pretty common sight looking for nesting sites starting in May.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Nice looking one. Thank you for sharing with us.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Monster? don't you mean average?
Nice pic BTW.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome! Is that an alligator snapper or a common snapper? If its a common holy cow is right!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It looks like a common snapper plastron but if so that's one giant common snapper!

StuMac

5 Year Member
Tortoise/Turtle.....they're all awesome! That must have taken some strength to hold it in place without losing an arm!!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Oh yeah, it's a Common Snapper. I'm up in CT, where this is the closest thing you'll get to the dinosaurs that a lot of you southerners see!

Again, I'm 330 pounds. This is a BIG turtle.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Holy crap! Thats the biggest common snapper ive ever seen!

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Hey guys,

I know this isn't a tortoise, but I know Snappers are one of those universal animals that everyone can appreciate. Anyway, I took a handful of members of the community center that I run, out for a day filled with activities that I like to do. I spotted this feel in the water and wasn't going to miss my opportunity to show everyone how fun "turtling" could be. This was a big boy, and his claws did a number on my poor hands.

Just to give everyone an idea of how big this fella was, I am 6'8" tall and 330 pounds.

Thanks for looking,

Anthony

Holy Cow! I can't stop looking the pics! He's huge! I hope I get to go turtling when I'm old enough for the senior center!