Misty

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I got Misty from a backyard breeder about 4 years ago (? too lazy to look at my records). She has no papers and she's way bigger than the standard for dobermans, but I'm not interested in show quality, I just wanted something to give me a feeling of safety, as I live here alone.

She's been a great companion, and I love her to death. My problem started a couple weeks ago, when she told me she "has a flea." (When Misty has a flea, she'll bark at her hind end then look at me. I'll go get the flea comb and save her from the dreaded flea, and she is usually right, as the flea comb comes away with a flea or two). I use the spot on flea stuff that lasts about a month, the stuff you squirt onto their back. It works well.

So about three weeks or so ago I discovered a possum invasion and Misty started telling me about her fleas more often that she had been. It was about time to do the flea treatment again, so I did.

Ever since I got Misty she has had an itchy ear. Not both ears, just the right ear. She shakes her head a lot and she holds that ear down. She occasionally tries to scratch it with her (uncontrollable) back paw, and this makes her yelp. The vet can't find anything wrong with her ear.

Last week Misty started licking her front leg (the back of the leg) and the sole of her foot. I always tell her to stop and she does. She also started frantically rubbing her face on the side of furniture or on her front legs. I have given her close inspections and can't find anything wrong. But when I looked at her paw, it's raw. In fact it's so raw that she hates to walk on it.

So I went online and asked my friend Google what makes a dog lick its feet raw. In reading the many answers I came across a dog forum where a woman asked the same question, and included that her dog used to have itchy ears but since adding Dynovite to her diet she doesn't have itchy ears anymore.

Most of the licking the feet answers came back - barring any medical condition, the dog is probably bored. I doubt that's Misty's problem. She has a lot to entertain her, as she's with me outside as I make my rounds with the tortoises and do my outdoor chores. She's very busy outside, looking for frogs in the Aldabran mud wallow, chasing butterflies, looking for critters in the grass, etc.

I ordered Dynovite for the itchy ears, and right now Misty has Neosporin, a gauze pad and a sock on her front foot. You can imagine how much she likes that. My guess is that with the new possum flea invasion Misty is allergic to fleas and it has made her be itchy all over, especially her face and feet. ??????

Anybody???

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
what do you feed her ? allergies are pretty common in dogs .......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feed Taste of the Wild. (See ingredients below) I buy a different "flavor" each time I buy a new bag.

Far as collars go, I have a million stray cats (well, actually 5 outside cats and several strays), so the collar would be ok for Misty, but wouldn't help the geographical flea problem. I use Advantix (I think that's how it's spelled) on all the cats and dog. It works well.

dog food.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Poor Misty.
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I know how much you care for her, and wish her well.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 2 inside (mostly) cats, I don't have collars or use any flea treatments on them and they stopped getting fleas when I put the collars on the dogs.These collars seem expensive but they work at least 8 months. I didn't change the last ones until they were 10 months old and they were still working.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have 2 inside (mostly) cats, I don't have collars or use any flea treatments on them and they stopped getting fleas when I put the collars on the dogs.These collars seem expensive but they work at least 8 months. I didn't change the last ones until they were 10 months old and they were still working.

I guess without any "hosts" outside, the fleas just die or go away??? I'd love to try the collar, but I have possums, cats, and whatever else that wouldn't have collars. Next month instead of re-dosing Misty with Avantix, I'll try the collar on her. Thanks for the tip.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She does sound allergic to flea bites. What if you tried the diatomaceous earth food grade around the yard? I don't know if it would work on fleas, but if it works on fire ants and other insects, might work on fleas.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I guess without any "hosts" outside, the fleas just die or go away??? I'd love to try the collar, but I have possums, cats, and whatever else that wouldn't have collars. Next month instead of re-dosing Misty with Avantix, I'll try the collar on her. Thanks for the tip.
If you decide to by online be careful, there are many imitations out there that look like the real thing.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
give her 2 Benadryl two times a day for a few days ...... they come in 25mg , so your giving her 50mg twice a day , if it alleviates the symptoms , you know it's an allergic reaction ..... your food is grain free , lots of dogs are allergic to grain and chicken in food ....... food allergies take quite awhile to figure out , if the Benadryl helps , you might want to talk with a vet about figuring out what she's allergic too......... so called "reputable" breeders turn out as many immune compromised dogs as "backyard" breeders , I think maybe more ..... the Benadryl may make her a little lethargic , that'd be normal .....

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
It's most likely a flea allergy and possibly an ear infection. I've seen countless cases exactly like that at the clinic I work at. I would recommend getting some Simparica or Bravecto from your vet. Anything OTC is not really going to work 100%. They will probably also want to put her on some antibiotics to take care of the skin. Fleas transmit tapeworms so you will probably want to deworm her as well.

Melis

Maryland
My chihuahua has allergies that flare up when seasons change. Starts with her feet/legs. She also will rub her ears and face. Try unscented baby wipes and wipe her paws when she comes in from outside. If pollen is on her feet, she could be transferring it to other parts of her body when scratching. I use prescription cleansing cloths from the vet because my little one has a bunch of other skin issues.

Melis

Maryland
She's also had a few ear infections and besides the typical dark buildup another sign to look out for is an odor coming from the ear

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like Mark's idea for a little bit of diagnosing the possible problem. These are the types of issues that I would be going to one of my vet friends for.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should have mentioned - Misty is very heavy. . . maybe 75 or 80lbs. She's also afraid of my truck. In order to drive her anywhere she has to be manhandled into the full sized pick up truck. This is a feat that is beyond my capabilities.

daniellenc

Maryland
I would start giving her a daily allergy med. You can get a fancy one prescribed or use benedryl. My dog has allergies to heck I have no clue nor will I pay for expensive testing, but benedryl morning and evening seem to keep them at bay.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try the seresto collar, if the itching continues then treat for allergies. You will at least have gotten rid of the fleas.

Thank you. I'm going to. But I just dosed her with the Avantix, so I'll wait the appropriate 30 days.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to put the elizabethan collar on her. She chews off any bandage I apply and she must lick all night long, because I stop her from licking during the day. I have a very small house and she's a big dog. I can see plenty of destruction in my future (with a collar on the dog).

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
there are a variety of the "spot stuff" flea medications , you didn't use a different one than she has previously used ? a couple other otc antihistamines that work on dogs are zyrtec and chlor-trimeton .........if you use benadryl make sure it's the normal one whose only ingredient is diphenhydramine , i think benadryl has other products for colds and flu ...... maybe a medicated shampoo for her feet , you need to clear her ears up , there are otc ear meds that may work , i have heard good things about zymox , but a script would be the easiest way to get that done ...... if you get it cleared up , i'd stop everything and hope it didn't come back , which does happen .......