Messy box turtles

Wabrli6

I recently got 2 box turtles. The pet store suggested I use eco earth soil as a substrate. My question is the turtles has the soaking pan full of soil within minutes and they are caked in soil also. They just go from soil to water over and over. I just want to make sure its OK to have them full of soil. I also plan on changing water daily but is it OK to have soil in it. Want to be sure they are safe!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I recently got 2 box turtles. The pet store suggested I use eco earth soil as a substrate. My question is the turtles has the soaking pan full of soil within minutes and they are caked in soil also. They just go from soil to water over and over. I just want to make sure its OK to have them full of soil. I also plan on changing water daily but is it OK to have soil in it. Want to be sure they are safe!!
Did you wet it down ? Put it in some warm water ring it out like a damp spong and if you still have a problem put some flat stones around the water dish .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is just a fact of life with turtles and tortoises. There are a few things you can do to TRY to keep the water cleaner, but turtles and tortoises make their water dirty. Period.

Another thing, besides the suggestions given by Grandpa, is to move the waterer out to the middle of the habitat, and not on the edge of the habitat.

A waterer filled with dirt isn't harmful to your turtle as long as he gets clean water daily.

Wabrli6

These are the babies. They need their nails trimmed previous owner never did it. So I have to do that also but don't have the correct trimmer yet. Just got them yesterday

IMG_20150628_213654129.jpg IMG_20150628_213714477.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wabrli6

Lol this is what they do to the water dish

Attachments

• IMG_20150629_103546031.jpg
    IMG_20150629_103546031.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 21

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
How big of a tank are they in and are they sharing it?

I'd get some rocks and rock around the dish to keep the substrate at the edge of the bowl from being dragged in. Still going to drag in substrate, but not as much if you have rocks around it.

Wabrli6

They are in a 40 galloon breeder tank. I jut added some rocks and put moss on top of them around the whole water dish. Hopefully that will help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, now that I've seen the pictures, I can see what your problem is. Those are NOT babies. They are grown box turtles and need to be outside. Adult turtles do much better when set up in a safe outdoor habitat. Adults are much too active to keep them in a small aquarium. If you absolutely MUST keep them indoors, then you need something much bigger. 4'x8' would be a good size.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
I clean my box turtles water dish every day because not only does she drag the coir into it, but she also poops in it every morning. For me, adding moss around it has helped keep the water cleaner, still change it once a day though