Mega ray mv bulb

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta NY
I have been burning through 275 watt Mega ray mv bulbs. What I mean by this is I get them and within a month the lights no longer work. I purchased through Amazon so have returned them and gotten new. This has happened with a total of six bulbs now. Has anyone experienced this issue?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never used them. I do remember years ago, when I first joined, nothing good being said about them. Switch to the PowerSun. They last a lot longer. Also be sure the fixture your using is ceramic and is big enough for the wattage bulb you have. Also that the dome is a big one, not those smaller ones and that the fixture is hung so the bulb points straight down. All those things, if not done, can make a bulb burn out faster.

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
Thank you yes I have the right fixture it is rated for 500 watts and ceramic. It is very large so not holding heat.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Could it possibly be your house's wiring? If it is an older home, it may not be wired for so much power consumption. Just a guess...

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
Looking for feedback from users of mega rays. Anyone else having this issue? I'm using the correct fixtures and hanging correctly. New construction home so wiring not an issue. Have read that mega ray is better than powersun but if bulbs blow in less than a month might have to switch.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm not saying you don't have the right fixture. Just make sure the manufacturer wired it up correctly. I've found them wired up backwards

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I'm not saying you don't have the right fixture. Just make sure the manufacturer wired it up correctly. I've found them wired up backwards
You can't wire a light fixture backwards. It doesn't matter which side is hot or neutral

Since you have a recurrent problem with several bulbs, I doubt it is the bulbs.

Causes for burning out too early are normally bulbs that were screwed in to a fixture too tightly, too much heat, vibration, or too much voltage in the circuit.

The first is most common. It is easy to overtighten a bulb compressing the contact at the bottom of the socket

It sounds like you have a properly rated fixture and a large dome so overheating is less of an option unless the whole fixture is placed where the heat builds up too much

Vibration should not be an issue in a set installation

Too much voltage can be an issue more than people think. Not unheard of for a circuit in the home to be at 125 volts that wouldn't create a problem except it would burn out bulbs quite quickly

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You can't wire a light fixture backwards. It doesn't matter which side is hot or neutral

Since you have a recurrent problem with several bulbs, I doubt it is the bulbs.

Causes for burning out too early are normally bulbs that were screwed in to a fixture too tightly, too much heat, vibration, or too much voltage in the circuit.

The first is most common. It is easy to overtighten a bulb compressing the contact at the bottom of the socket

It sounds like you have a properly rated fixture and a large dome so overheating is less of an option unless the whole fixture is placed where the heat builds up too much

Vibration should not be an issue in a set installation

Too much voltage can be an issue more than people think. Not unheard of for a circuit in the home to be at 125 volts that wouldn't create a problem except it would burn out bulbs quite quickly
I've seen it, black to white and the white wire to gold. Blew lights changed it to the proper black to gold and white to white with zero issues.
Could've been a coincidence but I will tell you I never had the issue again

Could've been a loose wire not making good connection and shorting out the bulb, and when I changed the wires it fixed the problem. I haven't got an answer for it but I know my issue was resolved by changing the wiring

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I have been burning through 275 watt Mega ray mv bulbs. What I mean by this is I get them and within a month the lights no longer work. I purchased through Amazon so have returned them and gotten new. This has happened with a total of six bulbs now. Has anyone experienced this issue?
Are you sure they are blowing? The mega-ray have a safety feature that they turn off temporarily when they get too hot then turn back on when they have cooled to prevent overheating.