Meet Mad Max & Myself (Diane)

AuthorrDianeBixler

Just an introduction, no real questions, but feel free to chime in if you read anything I could be doing better.

I never thought I'd own a tortoise, though I absolutely love them. Last year, I was messaged by my fiancee's cousin that she did animal rescue in OK, and had a sulcuta (sp) she was looking to home. I couldn't accommodate such a large tort (he was already over 25 pounds and still growing), but thanked her. Several months later, I got another message - her parents are involved in tort rescue (desert) and had a surprise clutch, would I consider one? I researched, and they are the perfect size! I told her yes, though honestly, I never thought it would actually happen - the tort was in AZ, she lived in OK, and I lived in FL. But, a few months later, another message, this time, that their flight would leave Wednesday, and they'd be at my house with my tort by Friday.

I freaked out! I had no idea how I was going to accommodate a tortoise on such short notice. I researched (and used this forum a LOT), and threw together an outdoor area as best as I could. Soon, the first pic came through. To my surprise, it was TINY! Like palm-of-the-hand tiny. Mad Max arrived Friday, the 13th (Nov of 2015) and absolutely stole my heart. To the best of our knowledge, he was born Oct 23, 2015, and I got him on his 3-week birthday. We had a blast visiting with James' cousin, and I ended up creating an indoor area for him as well, as he was WAY too little to live outside just yet.

Fast forward a year+ - Mad Max is amazing. He has over doubled in size, which surprised me. I didn't know he'd grow so fast. He has an indoor tank with a heat lamp & UV lamp. And he has a huge outdoor area, complete with three burrows (one is way too big, but will accommodate him as a full-sized adult) with lots of natural-growing weeds he loves. Because he's growing so fast, this summer, he will be upgrading to an indoor table-like area, with an upper & lower level. Although he does live indoors, he's outside daily (weather permitting), and he LOVES his enclosure!

MadMax 1.jpg

His diet has changed as he's grown (I use he, but we won't actually know the gender until he's much older). I still purchase an organic kale & lettuce mix, which he does eat, but he's growing more fond of the outdoor weeds, which I prefer him eating anyway. He absolutely LOVES hibiscus, and is beginning to eat more than he used to like. His first year, he wouldn't eat dandelions or elephant ears, but now loves them. He has yet to really enjoy any of the succulents I've planted (including aloe and prickly pear cactus). I read that an all kale diet was no good, as it's actually too rich in minerals and can damage organs. Of course, all lettuce is no good, as there is no nutrients, so I figured a mix should work, complete with the natural weeds he loves. Some days, he's all about the organic mix, other days, he wants nothing to do with me (boo hoo), and only wants to walk around & munch weeds. I let him choose, figuring he knows best. He always has access to water in a shallow dish, but a few days a week, I do attempt to soak him.

MadMax 2.jpg

He's growing well, all life cycles seem normal (eating, sleeping, pooping, peeing). He's never had any nasal discharge (no sign of illness or breathing difficulties). No major injuries, though he recently scraped his leg attempting to climb a step. We have a great routine, and he's always ready to go outside in the afternoons, when I get home from work. He prefers toileting outside, and very hardly ever uses his tank for this. Sometimes, his left eye bulges out when he pushes too hard (to poop), but if he's eating, it goes right back down, and he's fine. Rarely, though, he struggles to get it to calm back down. I know the eye bulging is also a sign of stress. The only time it happens (when it does) is when he toilets. I haven't let him hibernate yet - I read that it's dangerous for such a young tort. Our winters here are so mild, I'm not sure that hibernation will be necessary, but as he transitions from indoors to full-time outdoors, I'll let him decide.

Overall, I think he's doing well. He's just over a year old now. I'm looking forward to creating his new indoor habitat. I'm predicting about 5 years before I'll screen the outdoor area, and move him to be more outside than inside. He should be big enough by then, and having the area screened will give me a bit more piece of mind.

MadMax 3.jpg
If anything I'm doing looks out of place, please feel free to let me know. Mad Max seems perfectly happy & healthy, and appears to be thriving. I'm looking forward to our lives together. Oh, and he was such a hit when I got him, we created his own FB page - Mad Max, Tortoise Life. He's growing quite the fan club. Thanks for having me here, and I will likely ask some questions as I start the new indoor table-top project. Looking forward to meeting others and always learning with this little guy. Thanks! Diane

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. It is illegal to remove this species from CA, and even in CA you need a permit to keep one. They are a federally protected endangered species. If you get caught with Max in FL, or anywhere outside of CA, you'll be in big trouble. Its also illegal to breed them. I don't necessarily agree with these laws, and I don't think these laws work or serve their intended purpose, but I though you should know the situation you are in.

Next thing: Some tortoises will make the right choice some of the time, in some situations about not eating toxic foods and other times they will eat the wrong food and die. I can reference many cases of a tortoise eating a toxic plant and dying. A vet friend just showed me a case where a guy lost his Aldabran and Galapagos tortoises because the gardener added a jasmine bush to their large enclosure here in CA. Bottom line: Don't trust your tortoise judgement web it comes to a CB baby in a foregoing land exposed to foreign plants. That plant he is eating in the pic is listed as toxic on most lists. You need to know what all of the plants in his enclosure are and verify they are safe. If you don't know what the plants are, or can't verify if they are safe, he/she should not be allowed access to them. Many people make this mistake and their tortoise pays for it. We will help you ID whatever plants you can't figure out. :)

The eye thing is not normal and should not be happening. They should not have to strain at all to poop. How often to you soak your little tortoise? I would start soaking every day for a couple of weeks to insure good hydration and get past this problem.

Finally, Your environment there in FL is not the best for this species. Its too damp, too rainy, and too cool in winter with all the dampness and humidity. This species is sensitive to cold and dampness and they are prone to respiratory illness. He is surviving okay for now because he is small and still primarily living in your artificially dry indoor environment. When he's older and living primarily outside, he will need a dry heated night box, and then he might survive there. Hibernating him safely indoors in a temperature controlled area, like a refrigerator, will help keep him/her from getting sick in your cold damp winter. Leaving him outside in winter without a heated shelter will likely result in sickness and death.

Here is some care info. I typed this up for Russian tortoises, but care is identical for both species. I've raised dozens of DTs using theses methods and they simply work. Many DT babies die every year because most of the care advice offered for them is all wrong, and the people giving the advice just don't realize it. What their adults can manage to survive, is not necessarily "good" for a hatchling or baby. Please give these a read through:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Please feel free to converse and ask lots of questions. We all have the best interest of the tortoises in mind here and we love to talk torts! :D

AuthorrDianeBixler

Thank you!! Although he's not from CA, he's likely governed under similar rules, unfortunately. We're considering a move west in the future, so he may end up back "home".

The eye thing is the only component that isn't "normal" at this time. I'll up his bathing frequency. Lately, it hasn't been an issue, but it was for a while. At first, I thought it was an allergic reaction to something, but it only happens during toileting.

I used the following as a food guide for him - https://portal.azgfd.stagingaz.gov/...ldlife/tortoise/DesertTortoiseDiet2014(1).pdf to start. I've researched other sites, but figured a gov't site should know best (I may be incorrect there). I've compared several lists, most seem to have the same plants listed.

I read through the beginner's mistakes guide prior to his arrival, but I'll scan for new info. And thank you for the input about the weather here compared to his native areas. I didn't know they were so similar to Russian Torts. Will check that resource as well. I'm really torn on the hibernation component at this time. I was planning on his return indoors during our colder times, as it does get pretty damp & cold here. I've read they are prone to respiratory illnesses, and have been keeping a close eye for any symptoms. So far, he's been good.

And for the plants in his enclosure - I know which ones he's eating (I've been attempting to identify what he likes). He loves clover and finally is eating dandelion (wouldn't touch it as a baby). The star grass and hibiscus are both OK. I'm keeping the aloe and the prickly pear cactus, even though he doesn't prefer them at this time. He wouldn't eat dandelion until recently, so I guess his tastes change as he grows. Oh, and he loves clover, which is approved on multiple lists. I think some of the ones he turns his nose up at I'll just remove. Most are succulents, and one is a native weed I have narrowed down to two possible species. I've been scouring the web for a source of mallow, as that's on the list and should survive here well. One of the lists says elephant ears are ok in small doses (http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page6.htm). Now I'm doubting her list . . . He doesn't always eat the same plants, just wanders and munches some here & there.

Thank you for the input. I sincerely appreciate it. I just want him healthy & happy. I have one weed I'll pic & post, as I have no idea what it is, but he does like it and eats it regularly (now I'm doubting my own research and his natural ability). I was told they have an internal instinct to know what to eat and what not to eat. Oh, and I don't let him eat rocks. Every once in a great while, he'll get one down before I can stop him, but I read they cause blockages and problems. I do watch for that. Thank you so much for your input!!! Diane

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any state that has natural desert tortoises has the same regulation - the native tortoises are not allowed to leave their state. The tortoise belongs to the state and you are only the caregiver. The fine is pretty hefty.

Your tortoise is a beauty. You've done an amazing job with him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Diane, and very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Mad Max.:)