Meet Crush the Three toe boxie

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
so glad his weight is back up! He must be hunting then. It sounds like he is settling in a bit!
Yep, the last cricket was gone today so now I know he is eating. I will go get some more this week since he seems to like them. I think if I add two or three at a time we should be good!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Isn't it great when they get that noisy cricket :) I know some people think crickets chirping is relaxing but I'm not one of those people. especially when they are less then 3 feet from my bed and I'm trying to get to sleep.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Isn't it great when they get that noisy cricket :) I know some people think crickets chirping is relaxing but I'm not one of those people. especially when they are less then 3 feet from my bed and I'm trying to get to sleep.
Agreed :) I like them outside, not inside!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I refuse to ever keep crickets in my house! I hate them. In fact, my lizards only eat superworms, mealworms, or repti worms because I will not have roaches or crickets here.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I will try anything to get him to eat! Crickets are not my favorite for sure.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I couldn't do the crickets either... I focus on background noise and would never be able to sleep.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thankfully, My tort room is far away from my bedroom :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He loves nightcrawlers. I'm sure he is/will eat those.
I have added about 40 Nightcrawlers to his enclosure since I got him. He must be getting at them as I can not seem to find a lot of them when I dig for them. I do think he is hunting a bit but he is not eating out of his dish when I put them in there. The first time was the fluke! I am keeping his enclosure stocked with live foods going forward & I am checking his weight twice a week.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I will try anything to get him to eat! Crickets are not my favorite for sure.
The small and medium crickets don't shirt. I don't get the large ones because they do. But every once in a while I get a mature medium one. That's when I put Tickle in the general Area of the cricket until she finds it. This has only happened twice. I usually buy one or two dozen crickets at a time. But if I don't put them in the enclosure soon I end up forgetting about them, don't feed them, and they die. I am a terrible cricket keeper. I haven't bought any in a couple months.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The small and medium crickets don't shirt. I don't get the large ones because they do. But every once in a while I get a mature medium one. That's when I put Tickle in the general Area of the cricket until she finds it. This has only happened twice. I usually buy one or two dozen crickets at a time. But if I don't put them in the enclosure soon I end up forgetting about them, don't feed them, and they die. I am a terrible cricket keeper. I haven't bought any in a couple months.
I'm such a sissy about bugs that I put 3 in the enclosure and set the rest free outside.....I now have a big tote that I am making into a cricket habitat to keep them longer. It will go in the basement with the worm bin :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Honestly, crickets are just not worth it. Crush loves any moving, live food. Nightcrawlers, mealworms, superworms, reptiworms, you name it. No reason to mess with crickets when he loves all the rest. I find crickets to be dirty, smelly, noisy, and short lived. They escape and hope all over the place. I hate them!!

Of course that's me. You may feel differently...lol. Just make sure when it comes to crickets, mealworms, and superworms that you are not letting them live freely in the enclosure like you can with earthworms and slugs.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm such a sissy about bugs that I put 3 in the enclosure and set the rest free outside.....I now have a big tote that I am making into a cricket habitat to keep them longer. It will go in the basement with the worm bin :)
I have a little cricket keeper I got at the pet store. That's all I need because I don't get crickets too often. I will give them to her occasionally though. A little variety is good :) I don't know if she caught that slug I found yesterday or not, I hope she did.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
That's awesome! I think that's the most he has ever weighed! Obviously he is eating.