Meet 2014 Rescues 63 - 66

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yesterday a received a phone call from a lady in Chowchilla who was having to sell her house and move into a smaller place. She's 93 years old and can't handle the big house anymore. So, she's moving into a duplex in Fresno - a very nice, exclusive neighborhood, and living next door to a childhood friend that she has known ever since high school. Can you imagine? So, she has to give up her tortoises. She told me on the phone that she has 3 tortoises and a box turtle.

Here is #1 of her group, Rescue #63 (Gert). He's one of the biggest desert tortoises I've ever seen. She got him and #2 from a friend who was moving out of state, and this was about 25 years ago. Both tortoises were juveniles at that time, so they're still youngsters. I estimate about 30-35 years old.

2014 Rescue #63 Gert 10-12-14 b.jpg 2014 Rescue #63 Gert 10-12-14 c.jpg 2014 Rescue #63 Gert 10-12-14.jpg

This is #2 of today's group, (Gordo), 2014 rescue #64, same story as #63 above:

2014 Rescue #64 Gordo 10-12 -14 b.jpg 2014 Rescue #64 Gordo 10-12-14 c.jpg 2014 Rescue #64 Gordo 10-12-14.jpg

And here's where it gets interesting. She found Miracle, #3 of her group and 2014 rescue #65 in her back yard at easter time in 2000. He was a hatchling, so he's 14. She thought he was a baby from her two desert tortoises because she thought that Gert was a female.

And the other one in the wheel barrow, her #4 and 2014 rescue #66 (Sammi Sue) is her "box turtle." Sammi Sue was given to her about 25 years ago and she was the same size then as she is now:

2014 Rescue #65 & #66 Miracle & Sammi Sue b.jpg 2014 Rescue #65 & #66 Miracle & Sammi Sue.jpg

Sammi Sue is a very interesting color for a Texas tortoise. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep her and add her to my group of Texans.

If you know anyone in the Fresno/Clovis/Madera area who is looking to adopt a tortoise, please have them contact me. I now have 3 adult male CDT, one male Texas tort and one 40lb sulcata looking for homes.

It would be a no-fee adoption, but I have to come to your house and take a look at the yard where you want to keep the tortoise. Please bear in mind that male Texas tortoises are very tough. They're mean and pushy. A male Texas tortoise has to live either alone or with a harem, but not with other males and not with only one female. Male Texas tortoises are even scrappier than male Russians (if that's possible).

amberley layne

ohio
I would be inrterested in the larger ones. I live in Ohio. I would need a shipping price. They don't look very healthy. Are they in poor condition. Makes me sad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amberley:

These are only available to folks here in my own geographical area. Besides that, it is illegal to ship desert tortoises or Texas tortoises out of their home state.

I guess the pictures don't do them justice. They are in great shape. The desert tortoises are huge - much bigger than the average for the species. The new growth on the carapace is a bit dry and hard-looking, but I'm seeing a lot of that lately. I don't know what causes it besides being too dry or too hot. But they are very healthy and robust. Very nice tortoises.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Wow, they are big!

Didn't know it was possible to be scrappier than a male Russian. ;)