Medicine for tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi all, just wanna ask few question to cure my curiousity..:D

1. If u have a sick tort and have given 1 kind medicine and u wanna change the medicine, how long we should wait before we use the new medicine for our tort?

2. If u have a tort with RNS, can we use nebulizer?

That's all for now..:)

3. And then, I always heard or read that once u use the medicine or antibiotics for tort, u should "finish" it..

What finish mean? Finish it until they cure or what? Cause I was told that we can only use the same antibiotics for only one week, except baytril that only can ise for 2 or 3 days..

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
I think by "finish" they mean use all the medicine you were told to use by the vet. If you stop giving the medicine as soon as symptoms stop, the disease-causing stuff is probably still alive in small amounts, which could cause a relapse.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Heliopteryx said:
I think by "finish" they mean use all the medicine you were told to use by the vet. If you stop giving the medicine as soon as symptoms stop, the disease-causing stuff is probably still alive in small amounts, which could cause a relapse.

So I have to use the med until they were cure?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Nebulizer- follow vets advice for use, what meds to use, etc.

Antibiotics- use as and until directed. The problem with antibiotics, whether meds or cleaners, is that some germs are weakened but not killed right away. If you stop trying to kill them before they completely die, then the surviving germs will be resistant to that antibiotic. This is a HUGE problem and there are lots of resistant germs now.

Some antibiotics have to be changed and rotated to prevent resistance- again your vet will determine this.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Madkins007 said:
Nebulizer- follow vets advice for use, what meds to use, etc.

Antibiotics- use as and until directed. The problem with antibiotics, whether meds or cleaners, is that some germs are weakened but not killed right away. If you stop trying to kill them before they completely die, then the surviving germs will be resistant to that antibiotic. This is a HUGE problem and there are lots of resistant germs now.

Some antibiotics have to be changed and rotated to prevent resistance- again your vet will determine this.

So how often I can use nebu for my tort? Once a day?

Hmm, that's my point, we need to kill them, but we should rotate the medicine too,. And to change the medicine how long we should take break before we give another medicine?

My big problem is, there is no vet in my area that can handle reptile, :(

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Find one in another area, call them and see if they'd be open to doing a video chat for a reduced rate to help you get your tort healthy. Can't hurt to ask :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
evlinLoutries said:
3. And then, I always heard or read that once u use the medicine or antibiotics for tort, u should "finish" it..

What finish mean? Finish it until they cure or what? Cause I was told that we can only use the same antibiotics for only one week, except baytril that only can ise for 2 or 3 days..

Hi Devon Louis:

When they tell you to finish the medication, it means, if the vet said to give twice a day for three days, continue doing it twice a day for the full three days. Don't stop at 2 days because you think the tortoise is better. Continue doing what the vet says for as long as he says to do it.

I don't know what strength your Baytril is, but here in the states, we give Baytril every day for 5 days or every other day for 10 days. But then, we may have a weaker solution of Baytril than what your vet has prescribed.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
tortuga_please said:
Find one in another area, call them and see if they'd be open to doing a video chat for a reduced rate to help you get your tort healthy. Can't hurt to ask :)

The nearest vet in my area is around 5-6 hours driving without traffic jam, so, they won't come..:(

emysemys said:
Hi Devin Louis:

When they tell you to finish the medication, it means, if the vet said to give twice a day for three days, continue doing it twice a day for the full three days. Don't stop at 2 days because you think the tortoise is better. Continue doing what the vet says for as long as he says to do it.

I don't know what strength your Baytril is, but here in the states, we give Baytril every day for 5 days or every other day for 10 days. But then, we may have a weaker solution of Baytril than what your vet has prescribed.

Oh, I see it clearly now..:)

Thanks Yvone..

My baytrils is 5%.. its once a day or twice?

And what about other questions? Like about nebu?

Status
Not open for further replies.