Mazuri vs Mazuri LS. What's the difference?

jmaneyapanda

5 Year Member
I am running low on my Mazuri stockpile and need to order. What's the difference here?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Agreed.
I've never met a tortoise that would eat the "L.S."
And never met one that didn't LOVE the regular formula.
F.Y.I the regular formula has been getting very hard to find and might have to be purchased in a 25 pound bag. That is not as bad as it seems. Because it lasts and lasts in a container with a lid and works out to about a buck and change per pound.
Most feed and tack stores have it or can get it for you or you can contact Purina about how to find some.
You want the red labeled "tortoise, turtle and crocodile chow."

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
75% of my radiated tortoises accept the LS. Look at the formulation of the two and compare. The 5M21 is corn based. The LS (Low Starch) is timothy Hay based. LS is higher in fiber, lower in starch, sugar and protein. In my view, the LS is a far superior formula. All of this being said, its a very, very small part of my regimen.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LS stands for Low Starch. Most of our tortoises here on the Forum seem to not care much for the LS diet.

jmaneyapanda

5 Year Member
75% of my radiated tortoises accept the LS. Look at the formulation of the two and compare. The 5M21 is corn based. The LS (Low Starch) is timothy Hay based. LS is higher in fiber, lower in starch, sugar and protein. In my view, the LS is a far superior formula. All of this being said, its a very, very small part of my regimen.

Is there a big size difference too? The LS looks tiny.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use it as a base food and it consists of as much as 20% of the diet depending on how many home grown feeding options I also have.
The ingredients look like pure garbage. Yet many, many of us have been using it for decades with very healthy tortoises.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Yes - the LS is a much smaller pellet, and as ZEROPILOT says, it doesn't soften up too much when wet.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Agreed.
I've never met a tortoise that would eat the "L.S."
And never met one that didn't LOVE the regular formula.
F.Y.I the regular formula has been getting very hard to find and might have to be purchased in a 25 pound bag. That is not as bad as it seems. Because it lasts and lasts in a container with a lid and works out to about a buck and change per pound.
Most feed and tack stores have it or can get it for you or you can contact Purina about how to find some.
You want the red labeled "tortoise, turtle and crocodile chow."
I think I paid about $35 with shipping direct from Mazuri. A 25 lb bag fits perfectly in two 5 gallon paint buckets. A 50 lb bag of Zoo Med Grassland also fits perfectly in two paint buckets. Buy them both at the same time and realize you have WAY too much pellet food... especially if you only feed it as a supplemental topping.

1478706619240.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I paid about $35 with shipping direct from Mazuri. A 25 lb bag fits perfectly in two 5 gallon paint buckets. A 50 lb bag of Zoo Med Grassland also fits perfectly in two paint buckets. Buy them both at the same time and realize you have WAY too much pellet food... especially if you only feed it as a supplemental topping.

View attachment 191748

I LOVE that picture! The baby looks like he's/she's in on the joke.