Mazuri - The Miracle food?

Blkjkoknhrt

So if this is so good, how is it possible that oats, wheat and soy hulls (each NOT recommended as food) are good for my little friend as processed but not good as a naturally occurring food?
That's all that's in Mazuri,except for a long list of additives (to make up for the poor quality of ingredients?) Why can't a food based on dried vegetative matter be offered?

I'd be better off pulling weeds and using a quality vitamin and mineral supplement Besides, Munster won't eat it, except maybe by accident..

Comments?

Attachments

• IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 72

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I'm unaware of anyone calling it a miracle food. I've questioned how it can seem to have such good results with animals though, despite what would seem to be "bad" ingredients. I can personally say I've used it for maintaining my herd of adult reds for a while now. I also use it as about 30% of the diet for young red foots 3 months or older. I would say it promotes slightly faster growth, but there is no reason for that to be a concern. All in all, its cheap, easy to feed, the animals usually love it, and I get good results. I also use to for feeding Iguanas and Cyclura.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I've had fantastic results with Hermanns , leopards, and sulcatas feeding mazuri as roughly 20-30% of a varied diet. I can't dive into the science behind it but it undoubtedly works for me.
All of my leopards that eat mazuri grow at a much faster rate than the ones that don't .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is my catch phrase on the matter: No one is impressed with the ingredients list, but everyone who uses it is impressed with the results.

I use it as a supplement once or twice a week. It was recommended to me by people who had been keeping tortoises much longer than I have.

It is certainly not necessary to feed any Mazuri at all. A tortoise can be raised just fine with out it, so your plan of using weeds instead will work just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why can't a food based on dried vegetative matter be offered?

They have one. Its Called Mazuri LS and its based on grass hay. They made this specifically to address the concerns you raised. I've tried it and it has some applications where it would be useful, but for my purposes the old stuff works better.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
All of my leopards that eat mazuri grow at a much faster rate than the ones that don't .
How do you know an unnatural fast growth rate is beneficial for them? I believe this can encourage MBD and other problems.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As many posts have stated, sometimes Mazuri can be so preferred by tortoises that they will refuse to eat anything else....and this can go on for weeks! I now feed some Mazuri with most feedings of my Red Foot tortoises at a ratio of about 20-25%. Wet, mashed and mixed in with whatever greenery is available that day from my garden. It is the one thing that all three of my torts will eat. Every time.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I am not convinced that Mazuri produces an "unnaturally" fast growth rate. It stands to reason that a diet that is engineered to be nutritionally balanced would have advantages over one that is left to chance. A steadier, healthier growth rate might be one of these advantages. They could be consuming more foods because the Mazuri taste so good to them? That being said, few of us feed Mazuri exclusively. The percentage of the total diet that is Mazuri varies and usually is an estimate. So how do we know the impact that Mazuri is having on growth rate? And then there is the question of the role that genetics and environmental factors play in the growth rates. It all gets so confusing. Then, to add to the confusion, there is very little information on growth rates in the wild. I am speaking mainly of sulcata here. Almost nothing to compare what we see in captivity to at all.

I feel there are reasons to restrict the amount of Mazuri in my tortoises diet, but to curtail growth rate isn't one of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you know an unnatural fast growth rate is beneficial for them? I believe this can encourage MBD and other problems.

Likewise, how do you know the growth rate produced by feeding Mazuri is either unnatural or fast? Perhaps the growth rate you speak of is normal and growth rate without any Mazuri with our other unnatural foods (foods they would never see in the wild, like most of we we all feed and recommend...) produces an unnaturally slow growth rate.

Further, MBD is brought about by lack of sufficient calcium or D3. Growth rate is irrelevant, if Ca and D3 needs are met.

Lastly, these "other problems" that you are forewarning of simply do not occur. After 3 decades of millions of tortoises all over the world eating this stuff, don't you think we would have seen these "other problems"? We haven't.

Your points make sense on a logical level. The problem is that in the real world, in actual practice with living tortoises, the problems you foresee and are attempting to foretell do not materialize. Now I'm not saying that anything bad will happen if someone like yourself chooses to not feed any Mazuri ever. I'm not promoting Mazuri either. I'm just answering your questions and disputing some of your assertions about the product and its use. Here again we have a situation where someone with no experience in the matter is arguing with folks who have lots of experience in the matter. I have raised many tortoises with out any Mazuri at all. I have raised many tortoises with Mazuri. I know what it does and does not do. You on the other hand have no experience feeding this product and what it will or won't do. Everyone on this forum is entitled to an opinion. I just think it would be beneficial to anyone reading if asserted opinions actually had some basis in fact, experience or reality.

I used to be just like you. I used to lecture people not to feed fake food or man made phony concoctions. No prepared foods or pellets of any kind. Then over the years I had so many experienced and successful tortoise keepers explain to me why they fed Mazuri, and then show me the results from feeding it. I decided to have an open mind and give it a try. I'm glad I did. I learned something.

A person can invent any scenario in their mind they want, but the wise person will not ignore reality or dispute obviously positive results that are right in front of their face with hundreds or thousands of cases showing the same positive results.

Last edited:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I don't have much experience, but I know Hermanns breeders that use those pellets. Their babys grow much faster than wild hatchlings, that's why I assume it's unnatural fast.
Even though they have lots of calcium and sunshine, their shells feel different, not so strong and heavy than other tortoises of the same size, which were fed with only natural weeds (and which of course were much older because of the slower growth rate).

Maybe there are no long-term effects, I don't know. But in my opinion it's best to keep tortoises as natural as possible.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I attribute my accelerated growth rate (If it is indeed accelerated) to my climate and its temperature and humidity. We could compare sizes and weights of known age tortoises from different places fed different diets. That should be relatively easy to do.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
To make a sweeping generalisation, from the (few) studies done on their wild counterparts, captive tortoises grow faster, and reach maturity earlier.
Is this good? Up to you to decide, not the point of the thread, but growth rates can cause problems with shell density if a slight bit of care is 'off'. In captivity, debatedly we provide tortoises with 'ideal' conditions, which is why they grow faster than in the wild i.e. more food, consistent thriving temperatures and humidity etc., but then again, should a human always have access to this, and as a result, become overweight?
I do feed mazuri, about 1-2 times a fortnight, I also sell it as it's hard to get hold of in the UK, but it does increase growth rates due to more calories than the standard captive diet, and therefore I make sure my care is perfect a few days after feeding mazuri, in the same way I do for protein days. I also only feed 5 days a week or so, if they're hungry then they can eat the plants in the enclosure, but this rarely happens. I would say that we should monitor the growth rates of tortoises in captivity, but not obsess over it.

Blkjkoknhrt

Thanks to all you contributors for taking the time to opine and educate myself. I am totally inexperienced in torty-hood and meant nothing by my Miracle food comment. I was referring more to its rep as one of the best out there.
Here's a pic ofIMG_0797.JPG my little Munster with some greens and Mazuri

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I refused to feed my tortoises pellet food until like 2013. I started off on the grassland pellets. Only because I thought it was no good for them in regards to their overall health, just crap food. However, I've had my first tortoise since the summer of '08, so s/he missed out on mazuri for all those years, but has done just fine on the flowers, leaves, protein, veggies & fruit. It's the keepers personal preference, but I wanted to try the mazuri for my tortoises. Why not after all this time. I will say my tortoises are thanking me :)

Heather B

5 Year Member
Ohio
OK folks. I'm a little confused. The breeder that I purchased my second Redfoot from swears by Mazuri and I agree they (my two) Love it but I was nervous about it because of the grains in it. Just checking - you all have had long-term success with the stuff? If so, I would be happy to go back to using it. As I said, they really like it. I also mixed warmed mixed veggies into it. How often? They are both over two

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK folks. I'm a little confused. The breeder that I purchased my second Redfoot from swears by Mazuri and I agree they (my two) Love it but I was nervous about it because of the grains in it. Just checking - you all have had long-term success with the stuff? If so, I would be happy to go back to using it. As I said, they really like it. I also mixed warmed mixed veggies into it. How often? They are both over two

To be clear: I have seen nothing but positive results from everyone who feeds it. I've never seen it be a problem for anyone, with any species, in any situation.

Having said that, you still don't NEED it. Your tortoises can be fed other things and be just fine.

Heather B

5 Year Member
Ohio
To be clear: I have seen nothing but positive results from everyone who feeds it. I've never seen it be a problem for anyone, with any species, in any situation.

Having said that, you still don't NEED it. Your tortoises can be fed other things and be just fine.
Awesome! But how often is recommended?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My major issue with it is the things it lacks... the process the tortoise was designed to do to get it's food. There is no ripping or tearing of the food. No reaching up to get that leaf. No natural grazing. No reason to walk around and find his food. No mental stimulation. I have no problem with it, if used as a part of the diet, like any other food item. I myself use it every so often and always make sure I have some on hand incase for whatever reason I can't get enough fresh foods for my guys (ie like a winter snow storm)

Heather B

5 Year Member
Ohio
I understand. Mush is not too challenging to put away. Kind of like me and mashed potatoes;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Awesome! But how often is recommended?

This varies. I like twice a week for babies. Once every week or two for adults. Twice a week for egg producing females during the egg laying season. Less for a russian, more for a sulcata, etc...