mazuri shelf life?

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
does any one know how long it lasts once opened? i just found some in a biscuit tin I'd forgot about. Its been there maybe 6 month. Would it still be usable or best to chuck it and buy new? thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It may go stale, but does it really go "bad"? That's the question.
I don't think it would lose it's nutritional value or become harmful.
Try a portion and see if it gets eaten, then get back to us because I'd like to know, myself.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
does any one know how long it lasts once opened? i just found some in a biscuit tin I'd forgot about. Its been there maybe 6 month. Would it still be usable or best to chuck it and buy new? thanks

It is good for 9 months once opened. It has been sealed in a tin, so it should be just fine.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I've got to wonder. I purchased two 25 pound bags. Paper bags. How air sealed are those?
Yes I was wondering the same thing. Where did you order your 25lb bags. And how much? I ordered from tortoise supply & it was 31.00 for two 2lb bags. I thought it was you that said you ordered from somewhere cheaper.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A feed store called GRIFFS WESTERN in Davie Florida. It's about $32 for 25 pounds of red label, regular Mazuri. I pick it up. I'm sure the shipping would kill the deal $ wise.
Check your phone book for a feed store.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
A feed store called GRIFFS WESTERN in Davie Florida. It's about $32 for 25 pounds of red label, regular Mazuri. I pick it up. I'm sure the shipping would kill the deal $ wise.
Check your phone book for a feed store.
Thanks!!!

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I ordered a 25 pound bag back in October and transfered it to 9 gallon sized ziploc bags. 8 of the bags are still in my freezer to help them stay fresher longer. Shrimp is still working on the first bag and loves it as much as when we first got it.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
The only time I thought I had old mazuri, was towards the end of going through it when my baby was itty bitty. It lasted me around 10 months or so. Towards the end, it smelt a tad like sourdough bread.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
If you cannot find a big bag of Mazuri locally, you can always order it directly from them.

http://www.mazuri.com/tortoise.aspx

Tortoise Diet, 25 lb = $30.99
Tortoise LS Diet, 25 lb = $43.49
Ground shipping $5.99 for up to 25 lb. Plus tax if appl.

According to Mazuri, the food should be used within 1 year of bag manufacturing. Per bag label, no moldy or insect infested food should be fed because contaminated food may cause illness or even death.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
I ordered a 25 pound bag back in October and transfered it to 9 gallon sized ziploc bags. 8 of the bags are still in my freezer to help them stay fresher longer. Shrimp is still working on the first bag and loves it as much as when we first got it.
never knew it could be frozen. Its good to know, only having 1 tiny tortoise even the smallest packs will last for ages.