Mazuri questions

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
What sort of problems are you talking about as far as Mazuri is concerned? I FOUGHT like mad to get it as it is not available here, and Ed was kind enough to send it to me. I am getting Oli used to it. I'd appreciate a quick answer, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
What sort of problems are you talking about as far as Mazuri is concerned? I FOUGHT like mad to get it as it is not available here, and Ed was kind enough to send it to me. I am getting Oli used to it. I'd appreciate a quick answer, thanks.

The Mazuri That everyone on this site raves about is the kind that I pictured and doesn't have LS as part of the name. Its nugget shaped like dog food.

Just the LS type is awful in my opinion. It's probably good for them but if they won't eat it then its not . A FEW tortoises have been known to eat it but MOST won't touch it. Mine backed away. I think LS stands for low starch so its probably just yucky like any diet food. Lol. It's pellet shaped like rabbit food and hard to soften.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The Mazuri That everyone on this site raves about is the kind that I pictured and doesn't have LS as part of the name. Its nugget shaped like dog food.

Just the LS type is awful in my opinion. It's probably good for them but if they won't eat it then its not . A FEW tortoises have been known to eat it but MOST won't touch it. Mine backed away. I think LS stands for low starch so its probably just yucky like any diet food. Lol. It's pellet shaped like rabbit food and hard to soften.
Thanks v much your prompt reply as well as your explanation.

I did have some trouble in feeding Oli mazuri. However, the first thing that crossed my mind was the fact that he is NOT USED TO IT: the poor thing had been eating lettuce, tomatoes and cooked carrots for more that FOUR YEARS!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Thanks v much your prompt reply as well as your explanation.

I did have some trouble in feeding Oli mazuri. However, the first thing that crossed my mind was the fact that he is NOT USED TO IT: the poor thing had been eating lettuce, tomatoes and cooked carrots for more that FOUR YEARS!

Which kind are you feeding him? Most torts I've heard of loved the stuff as much as cactus! Good that he has you now to introduce him too the GOOD stuff.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Which kind are you feeding him? Most torts I've heard of loved the stuff as much as cactus! Good that he has you now to introduce him too the GOOD stuff.
Hi. Am feeding Oli the mazuri that come in small 'balls' not the pellets. Does it make any difference?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I found that soaking it in fruit juice makes my picky eater go nuts for it. I use pretty much whatever is available, though he really likes it soaked with blackberry juice because it makes the nuggets bright red.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
yep there's a difference the pellets I would understand if He didn't eat but you got the good stuff
You said there is a difference, but didn't say what it is. Appreciate an answer, thanks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
~ According to my supplier, there may be a shortage due to a major production plant reorganization!
You are talking about the USA, right? When I said 'Mazuri is NOT available I meant Jordan, (and probably all the Middle East). There is NO demand on it, due to the fact that torts live in the wild and are NOT the favourite pets here.

Alaskamike

South Florida
The difference according to the Mazuri website is - the LS has more fiber.
I find the LS takes a bit longer soaking to get soft

But the regular Mazuri gets so soft so fast that it turns to mush.

Depends on what you are looking for.
My torts will chow down either one.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida

Yes. The pellets(Mazuri LS) SOME tortoises will eat but checking reviews you see ALOT of people unhappy because their tortoise won't touch it. It's not just that they don't recognize it as food...it smells bad or something. Like I said both my torts backed away from it and even after I removed the offensive stuff they wouldn't touch the greens they were on. My perspective is if they like the regular nugget shaped Mazuri don't try to force the other (pellet shaped Mazuri LS)on them.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida

Mine like the regular Mazuri mushy even more! Lol and they look adorable with it smeared on their faces

Attachments

• IMG_20150315_003835.jpg
    IMG_20150315_003835.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I found that soaking it in fruit juice makes my picky eater go nuts for it. I use pretty much whatever is available, though he really likes it soaked with blackberry juice because it makes the nuggets bright red.
I hadn't thought of that! It might help get a few vitamins they might not get otherwise. Some people put their calci powder in the soaking water

leno

5 Year Member
I have tried feeding mazuri Tortoise LS Diet, They kind of avoid the mazuri and go for the veges instead, how could I get them to eat the mazuri as well? I have tried mashing/mixing them up tgt but they are still able to pick the vege away from mazuri.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I have tried feeding mazuri Tortoise LS Diet, They kind of avoid the mazuri and go for the veges instead, how could I get them to eat the mazuri as well? I have tried mashing/mixing them up tgt but they are still able to pick the vege away from mazuri.
Try this Mazuri instead. Torts love it!
*notice it does not have LS on the packaging anywhere and its nuggets instead of pellets.

Attachments

• IMG_20150519_182153.jpg
    IMG_20150519_182153.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I use mazuri LS sometimes. My torts don't love it but if I mix it in with stuff they do like they will still eat some of it. I have better luck with the ZooMed grassland tort food. I only offer it every other week or so, but it might be worth trying if you can get ahold of some.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Try this Mazuri instead. Torts love it!
*notice it does not have LS on the packaging anywhere and its nuggets instead of pellets.
You mentioned that it is nuggets NOT pellets. I have nuggets (which ED sent me.Am thankful Ed!). But Oli is still not completely used to this diet. How long would it take to get him used to it? Somebody suggested my NOT GIVING HIM ANY OTHER CHOICE, but I cannot do that for one simple reason: the poor thing has been eating Roman lettuce, tomatoes for more than FOUR YEARS. He cannot, I think, be deprived his favourites overnight, can he?

Appreciate suggestions, replies. Thank you.