Mazuri... How often?

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, CA
I finally ordered my baby tort some mazuri. Now, how often does everyone feed their tort the mazuri?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
three times a it's up to you to be honest. Some people give it three times a week I give it to my red foot once a week because he tends to like it too much. He's the only one that likes it

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I use it twice a week in the winter, when weeds are scarce, and once a week when there is more variety in the diet. I also alternate between Mazuri and the grassland tortoise pellets (by zoomed I think).

LDRANCH

Simi Valley, CA
I feed Charlie the Mazuri LS. It's first ingredient is hay and it's lower in carbohydrates than regular Mazuri. Charlie lives in our back yard with access to a lawn year-round. He has a bowl of Mazuri available full time and eats about 3/4 of a cup a day. That's in addition to grazing and daily grocery store greens, zuchinni, cactus, and the occasional small piece of fruit.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I add mazuri to the mix of stuff I am feeding several times a week in the winter.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Just curious, Charlie is 16 years and has never had Mazuri. He lives mostly off the grass and plants in our yard. Should I be offering Mazuri? What benefits would I see?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like using the Mazuri because I know they like and eat it, and it contains the right mixes of fiber they need as well as the Calcium and very small amounts of D3 they also need (as well as other vitamins and minerals). Kind of like a one a day vitamin for my tortoises. So in addition to all the great stuff we are feeding them, I like the safety net of the necessary vitamins and minerals I KNOW they are getting this way.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I feed it daily but in limited volume. More like a supplement. Small tortoises getting only a single pellet and 3000g ones getting a half dozen each.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I use it twice a week in the winter, when weeds are scarce, and once a week when there is more variety in the diet. I also alternate between Mazuri and the grassland tortoise pellets (by zoomed I think).
I use grassland run through a coffee grinder dusted over my spring mix it picks up the water off the spring mix and it lasts twice as long in the winter .

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I use it 3x a week blended with greens and veggies on my big tort because he is picky. I also use the zoomed forest tortoise food the other days.
My 12oz Redfoot gets 3-4 pellets a week.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Oh and I use about 1/3 cup of mazuri with my 10lb Redfoot.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I provide a large pile of mixed greens, weeds, fresh dandelion daily, with a handful (about 10) of slightly moistened mazuri. On top of this a nice pile of moist hay. Our sully gobbles this down and seems happy and continues to grow in size.

For a young sully, id soak the pellets a wee bit longer in fresh water and then provide. I started off with 1-3 pellets, and gradually increased.

Good luck.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I was told every 3rd day by the lady we got him from , and I just got into that habit . He started out with 3 pellets soaked in water . He is up too 12 to 14 mixed with hay that I also soak and put on top !

Myroli

I give mine 3-4pellets(102g sully) almost everyday since it's winter, but I'll only give it to him every other day or every third day in the summer since I'll have a lot of grass/weeds to feed then

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I give mine 3-4pellets(102g sully) almost everyday since it's winter, but I'll only give it to him every other day or every third day in the summer since I'll have a lot of grass/weeds to feed then
My biggest concern with feeding it daily would be , he likes it so much he wont eat anything else . I am sure this would be fine with the folks from Mazuri ! :D I don't mean there is anything bad about it , just that the bigger the variety the better . I would think ? diet wise .