mazuri for primates

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
Been looking for Mazuri in the UK and i've found a lot of people are selling mazuri for primates but selling it for tortoises,anyone know if it will harm tortoises or is it basicaly the same thing

Kori5

You can buy nutrazu in the uk which is the same thing :). Shelledwarriors sell it on ebay.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
is that product also called monkey chow? you know the ingredients?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mazuri makes several different Primate chows. These are balanced more for primates and not made for tortoises. I would continue looking for the Mazuri Tortoise Chow over there.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The tortoise chow has a crocodile and a tortoise on the bag with a red tag.
The feed store that I get mine from also has monkey chow and it seems to be a different formula though I honestly don't know what the differences are.
The Mazuri brand is made by PURINA.
Maybe they can be Emailed for a question like this?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
monkey chow, now I'm getting hungry.

M

Maggie Cummings

I order mine right from Purina. Won't they ship to the UK?

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
no,i don't think mazuri can be sold in the UK ,thats why you can only get it on places like ebay and amazon,but i checked on the mazuri site and the tortoise mazuri has 12% protein while the primate leaf eaters mazuri has 23% protein same as the 1 on ebay has 23% protein. but is 23% to high for hermanns and horsfield tortoises

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
but i checked on the mazuri site and the tortoise mazuri has 12% protein while the primate leaf eaters mazuri has 23% protein same as the 1 on ebay has 23% protein. but is 23% to high for hermanns and horsfield tortoises

Most would agree that 23% is too high, but that is not the only issue. Monkey chow is made to serve an omnivore's digestive system. It is nutritionally balanced and has the right fiber content and other ingredients for an omnivore. Monkey chow should not be fed to tortoises. The exception would be people who want to use it as a small part of a forest tortoise species diet.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Mazuri is available in Europe, but it is licensed to a different company and it is a different formula than the US Mazuri products.

Mazuri European is licensed to Dietex International Ltd From what I've seen it is higher in protein and lower in fiber than the US formulas. I believe about 18% fiber and 15% protein.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Most would agree that 23% is too high, but that is not the only issue. Monkey chow is made to serve an omnivore's digestive system. It is nutritionally balanced and has the right fiber content and other ingredients for an omnivore. Monkey chow should not be fed to tortoises. The exception would be people who want to use it as a small part of a forest tortoise species diet.
Thankyou Tom,i thought 23% seemed a bit too high,the only trouble is the people selling it are not telling people its monkey chow they are just selling it on tortoise forums as leaf eater mazuri ,so people are automatically assuming its the tortoise variety

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Don't they also have one called "Komodo" over there? I've seen UK members give it positive reviews.
yes,thats supposed to be ok too,but somewhere on the american mazuri site it gives you a link to the nutrazu site,