May have made a grave mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Oh good. My opinion was going to be NO! Miracle Gro has chemicals that are like crack for plants. 40 lbs for a buck ... what a deal. : )

melly_87

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much for the advice! Claude has been doing better! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think you need to do some research on temps and diet for russians.

They need a 100 degree basking spot, and the rest of the enclosure can be room temp. They don't need night heat unless you live inside a refrigerator. Their diet should be mostly broadleaf weeds. Add in some grape, mulberry and hibiscus leaves, and you are looking pretty good. Cactus pads or Mazuri once in a while is good too. Store bought foods are okay, but not the best option if you have a choice. Favor endive, escarole and spring mix. Cilantro, collards, carrot tops and occasional lettuces are okay too. If you must use grocery store foods, Tyler at tortoisesupply.com sells a product called "Salad Style". It is basically blended up grass hay. You sprinkle it on top of grocery store greens for some much needed added fiber.

Do you have a UV bulb for your baby? Does he have an outdoor enclosure for real sunshine and grazing?

melly_87

5 Year Member
His tank stays 80-85F throughout thr day, but I'm not sure how how his heat lamp is. So it would be better if I don't use a night lamp unless it falls, like, below 60F?

Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice for his food, so I get him stuff from the grocery store. I've been feeding him kale and spring mix, and now I'm trying to grt him to eat collards. He deodn't see, to be taking to them very much and I'm worried because he hasn't been eating as much lately. He loves tomatoes, but I know he's not supposed to have so much fruit. I would try cactus pads, but I read they had to be opuntia? I'm not too sure if that's what the grocery sells, so I haven't tried that yet.

He doesn't have a UVB bulb, so I'm going to get him one by summer's end when I can't bring him outside as often. He doesn't have an outdoor enclosure yet. I let him roam my backyard which is a lot of grass and some tanbark stuff for the trees and plants along the fence. I let him out for about an hour and then take him back inside. I take him out again later in the day. I've recently left him in my garden box since he can't climb out and I don't need to constantly watch him for a few hours. Even then, he doesn't graze a lot. I have a ton of weeds, too, like clovers and dandelion leaves, but he never goes for them, so I don't know what to do about him eating.

I should also say that I will be moving by the end of September and my new place doesn't have a big, grassy area that I could put him in, or make a new outdoor enclosure. Is it possible for him to stay an indoor tortoise most of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.