Marking a tortoise

hettisurmail

I have four little marginated and I need to mark them so I can tell them apart to track there growth. I know people who use nail polish and paint is this ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I put a dot of nail polish in the center of a scute. For example, I recently received three SA leopards all the same size. One of them has one dot, the next one has two dots and the third one has three dots. This is so I can make sure each one is eating, and helps me tell them apart from each other.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I've started to put a bit of nail varnish on the marginal scutes. The one on the right is from a different mother.
Don't load the nail varnish brush up or you'll end up with a blob that chips off.

IMG_20170428_191648.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I've started to put a bit of nail varnish on the marginal scutes. The one on the right is from a different mother.
Don't load the nail varnish brush up or you'll end up with a blob that chips off.

View attachment 209693
I mark a similar way, but with numbers of hatchlings, I will use the marginals as a counting mechanism. 1st right marginal = 1, 2nd = 2 etc. Then 1st left marginal is 10, 1st left & 1st right = 11, 1st right, 2nd left = 12, etc, etc. Not very obtrusive, but easy to distinguish which one is which. Plus you can do up to a hundred this way.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I mark a similar way, but with numbers of hatchlings, I will use the marginals as a counting mechanism. 1st right marginal = 1, 2nd = 2 etc. Then 1st left marginal is 10, 1st left & 1st right = 11, 1st right, 2nd left = 12, etc, etc. Not very obtrusive, but easy to distinguish which one is which. Plus you can do up to a hundred this way.
Think it was you why I started doing this. For big time breeders you could even start throwing colors in there too.