Marginated Tortoises in California

GimmeABreak

Greetings! I'm new so please bare with me. I live in Wisconsin, but someday, I might move to California. I bought my baby Marginated Tortoise about 9 months ago (also in Wisconsin) and I still have the papers from the sale. My question is this: Can I bring her to California with me or is she illegal there? If she's illegal, is there anything I can do about it? I've asked in other forums and no one can answer this. Your help will be much appreciated. (Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.)

parrotlady

5 Year Member
As far as I know marginates are not illegal to own in California. No documentation is required to travel with her. I would always keep her papers handy if in fact they ever change the laws.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Welcome to California! ! ! !We also welcomes your marginated tortoise.

I believe @Yvonne G have better understanding of this kind of things.

GimmeABreak

Awesome! Thanks everyone! I was so worried that I'd have to leave her behind if I found a job out there. Now I can rest easy. I hope you guys don't mind if I ask one more thing. I had to remove the aspen snake bedding from her terrarium because she was eating it. What bedding is safe to use?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Coconut coir would work. If they eat it it is supposed to pass right through. But let's see what some experienced marginated tortoise keepers say.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is ok to bring your marginated tortoise with you to California. Just keep the paperwork handy in case there are any check-points at the state borders. They're usually more worried about food at the check-points though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Marginated tortoises require no permits and are legal to possess or transfer anywhere in the continental US. Hawaii won't let you bring it, but you are good everywhere else.

Orchid bark is mt substrate of choice for older Testudo species, but once you are here, your tortoises can live outside in the dirt most of the time.