Marbeling

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
I know that marbeling isn't serious, but what causes it? Rapid growth? I've seen some tortoises with marbeling that looked beautiful. Does it ever fade? IMG_4807.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Marbelling is a great thing as far as I'm concerned.
It's almost always associated with Cherry heads. I see from the spurs that yours likely IS a cherry.
It will at some point stop and start to fade. But looks very good. IMO
@Pearly has one that is just strikingly beautiful.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Marbelling is a great thing as far as I'm concerned.
It's almost always associated with Cherry heads. I see from the spurs that yours likely IS a cherry.
It will at some point stop and start to fade. But looks very good. IMO
@Pearly has one that is just strikingly beautiful.
Thanks, Ed! He WAS "strikingly beautiful"....ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497543318.804615.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497543157.995249.jpgwe are in that "fading phase" now:(ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497543187.399308.jpg this is now, most new growth is dark but his plastron is still prettyImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497543260.557937.jpg

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago

Pearly

5 Year Member
That looks so cool! How long did it take once it started to spread that far?
It had started very early in first few wks of his life. I didn't know about marbling and at first trying to scrub it with soft tooth brush thinking it was hard water or calcium (back then I was still trying to supplement, before I quit bcs Tucker would eat anything with calcium powder in it) then was freaking out about him getting some shell disease.... bfr finally realizing that my "problem tort child" was just growing different color shell... he was growing those streaks or all white up until about 18 months of age. Now he is 2 and growing mostly dark and all that used to be bright white has faded and little Tac-tack from distance looks now almost like his reg RF "house-sister". But that's ok, it's been a very cool experience with this "marbling thing":)

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
It had started very early in first few wks of his life. I didn't know about marbling and at first trying to scrub it with soft tooth brush thinking it was hard water or calcium (back then I was still trying to supplement, before I quit bcs Tucker would eat anything with calcium powder in it) then was freaking out about him getting some shell disease.... bfr finally realizing that my "problem tort child" was just growing different color shell... he was growing those streaks or all white up until about 18 months of age. Now he is 2 and growing mostly dark and all that used to be bright white has faded and little Tac-tack from distance looks now almost like his reg RF "house-sister". But that's ok, it's been a very cool experience with this "marbling thing":)

Thanks! I was just surprised because I thought it started at a few months of age and while still young, is already 1. Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's appreciated. I'll post more pictures as the marbling spreads - which hopefully it will.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago

a5fung

5 Year Member
I have a two month old cherryhead and it looks to me it's starting to marble. I'll post pics this weekend so you folks can help me confirm!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
@Pearly
I like the black growth coming in, it provides the marbling with that "starburst" pattern around the areola. That is a unique redfoot and rather stunning.

Pearly

5 Year Member
@Pearly
I like the black growth coming in, it provides the marbling with that "starburst" pattern around the areola. That is a unique redfoot and rather stunning.
Yea but you know what? The black pigment has been ... infiltrating those white fields and almost completely obliterating the white in some areas!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Yea but you know what? The black pigment has been ... infiltrating those white fields and almost completely obliterating the white in some areas!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497720273.660569.jpg see??!! Almost all if the white on the sides is gone! But the pigment came later! After the previously white growth rings were already there! I used to think that the new growth came in with its color...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497720521.621034.jpg see that???!!! Crazy stuff! It's like black ink "bleeding" into the porous paper! This last pic is an earlier one to show you how much white there used to be there

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I see what you mean and I still like it!

All of mine are marbling (not to the extent of yours) and in every case they get pigmented after the white growth has come in. I don't know how shell growth works so I can't comment on why.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
View attachment 210543 see??!! Almost all if the white on the sides is gone! But the pigment came later! After the previously white growth rings were already there! I used to think that the new growth came in with its color...View attachment 210544 see that???!!! Crazy stuff! It's like black ink "bleeding" into the porous paper! This last pic is an earlier one to show you how much white there used to be there

While I vastly prefer all black shells the pattern of yours is actually attractive;). Could it be that it just "seems" to bleed in because as the scutes get bigger so much more area is growing in dark around the edges?

Pearly

5 Year Member
While I vastly prefer all black shells the pattern of yours is actually attractive;). Could it be that it just "seems" to bleed in because as the scutes get bigger so much more area is growing in dark around the edges?
No idea! And thank you... But you know what? This is actually very interesting! I wonder if @Anyfoot or @cdmay know how that pigmentation in shell growth works RFs

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have no idea.

I've heard all-sorts of theories, is it to do with diet, indoor UVB, sunlight or age. I keep looking back at yours from time to time pearly and how it's grown trying to think of a logical answers, for everything I think of there is someone else's that counteracts that thought process.
It's the same mystery as to why some Brazilians have a patterned plastron and some are just black like mine.

Does anyone know if the marbling happens naturally in the wild or is it just something that happens with farm bred or captive bred Brazilians. If it does then I ask myself is it a locality thing, do they camaflauge whilst young with the marble pattern, or maybe it's the opposite and they stand out so survival chance is lower.

Also is it like when a humans hair grows darker with age, only difference is our hair grows out, a tortoises previous growth is there for life.

I have 2 with no marbling what so ever.