Manouria emys emys

Berkeley

I'm in a picture-sharing mood, and it has been kind of quiet in this subforum lately, so I thought I would share a handful of pictures of some of my Asian Browns. Enjoy!
DSC02031.JPG
DSC02038.JPG
DSC02042.JPG
DSC02046.JPG
DSC02873.JPG
DSC03589.JPG One of my projects this year is to get rid of this gigantic blue wading pool and dig in a real pond for them to soak in. It would look so much more natural than this monstrosity....
DSC03593.JPG
DSC03596.JPG Here is the biggest female working on her nest mound from this year. For size reference, that mound is about four feet wide at the bottom, and made it to almost 30 inches high by the time she was done with it.
nest2014.JPG
And here is the result of that nesting:
DSC04809.JPG
DSC04812.JPG
DSC04814.JPG
30 manouria babies.jpg
Enjoy!
--Berkeley

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Wow, just wow! Great photos! I see my own Mee's everyday, but there's nothing like looking at other's.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Love them! You can send me one of those babies!!...lol

Berkeley

Ha ha! Thanks yall- glad you like the photos.

Here's the post about the babies from September of last year:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-manouria-emys-hatching-event.102443/

The parents are part of a breeding group with the Turtle Survival Alliance, so half of the babies go back to them. The other half I have already placed/sold, but if you all are interested, I am sure that the parents will be breeding again this coming summer. I'll let you know as the year progresses.

There were 61 eggs in the nest when I excavated it. 31 hatched out, and I'm almost kind of glad it was only that many. Wowza that was a lot of babies!

And yes, I let the eggs incubate naturally Yvonne. At least as long as I thought I could. We ended up getting an unseasonably (and ridiculously early!) cold/wet snap, so I brought the eggs inside for the last two weeks of incubation.

Glad you all enjoyed. Thanks for viewing.
--Berkeley

Turtlepete

South Florida
Amazing. Awesome that they are TSA animals. Is there any re-introduction program in place for the young?

Berkeley

Thanks fellas. Yes, bandofett, it is a treat to have the big ones stomping around. They are a lot of fun.

TurtlePete- not with my babies, that I am aware of. I know Kelly (tortadise) has been working on some details for potential future reintroductions with some of his progeny. The half of mine that went back to TSA have been placed with zoos and some other institutions to add in genetics for populations that they already have. I'll have to check in with them to see if there are any Manouria-specific plans in the works through TSA.

--Berkeley

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I really appreciate you sharing such lovely browns. What a privilege for you to have that success

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
What a great looking group you have there. Always great to see some beautiful grown-ups!

Berkeley

I appreciate the kind words everybody. Sorry for the delay in a response, I have been away from a computer for a while.

I really appreciate you sharing such lovely browns. What a privilege for you to have that success

What a great looking group you have there. Always great to see some beautiful grown-ups!

Thanks yall! I am quite proud of my group, and even more pleased that I was able to successfully reproduce them.
--Berkeley

Moonstar

5 Year Member
java
wowwww!!!! great job!!! i wish i have an outdoor enclosure :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Amazing. Awesome that they are TSA animals. Is there any re-introduction program in place for the young?
As of now no Manouria emys or phayrei are being released. I'm working in Bangladesh in the next couple years for phayrei and soon to be digging some roots into malayasia for emys emys release.

Moonstar

5 Year Member
java
Your in the homeland region though. Or are you in a flat or apartment?

i have the space to build the cage outdoor, but it will cost me a lot, because there are dogs, cats, rats and birds around my house, not to mention there are some people living with me "that will be not responsible for my tortoise safety"..so, thats why i decided to build a tortoise table and put it inside my bedroom..lol!! maybe if i have my own house, i will build an outdoor enclosure for my tortoise :)

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Wow beautiful amazing tortoises you have! They are wonderful! You obviously do an outstanding job!