Manouria and swimming

algoroth1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I recently put in an 18 inch depth pond in Ponce's (m.e.e.) enclosure. I've been layering it with stones so it's not so deep and is graded so he can walk out if he is in over his head. While cleaning Ponce's enclosure after Matthew, as if to make a point, Ponce walked over to the lip of the deepest point of the pond and without stopping climbed over the lip, dropped to the bottom, blew out some bubbles, floated to the top and swam the 8 feet across the length of the pond, climbed out and continued his circuit around the enclosure. Given that he weighs quite a few pounds I couldn't imagine him being bouyant, but he was. Anyone else seen this in their m.e.e. or m.e.p.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My pond isn't deep enough for swimming, but I've seen pictures of wild Manouria in rivers or lakes.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They do float. Better then most tortoises. I never risk it and my dishes are always shallow enough for them to reach the ground. They do however float I've seen mine . they probably one of the better swimmers as far as tortoises go. How big are your guys ?

Kyle

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
His carapace alone is about 10 in. X 7 in. It was a real surprise to see. When he broke through the picket fence before I reinforced it and was on the run for 24 hours I put up posters with his pic asking people not to mistakenly put him in one of our local ponds (the public isn't very aware that a tortoise is a land animal and not amphibious) because I assumed he'd drown. Glad to know now that's not true. Makes sense if you think about it since they always live near water that they evolved swimming skills. If I can catch him at it again and get a video I'll gladly post it.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My reds do the same thing, sink to the bottom and then bob up and paddle away like nothing phases them. I still keep their ponds shallow enough that the smallest red can stand in it so she doesn't get stepped on by the larger ones since they all love to play in the water.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have deep ponds in the mountains enclosure. They will soak all the way to the bottom and sleep in it at night. Only the tip of the nostrils will remain out for air. Quite fascinating. Was incrediably scary the first few times having to wake them up, thinking they had drown. Even the juvenile and or; young adults will fully submerge. No added rocks just deep water. The black will not soak at all near the amount the Browns do.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Interesting. I haven't noticed that since my bowls are not deep enough. They do love the water though.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Tortadise-Really helpful to know this. If you have a chance, can you post a photo of this? I'll try to catch a clip of Ponce swimming to post also.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I noticed that my MEPs float when I increased the depth of their bath water a bit trying to cover more of their shells when i thought they got too dry. Lol. Water level kept going up but their back wasn't getting wetter. Haha

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Exactly right teresaf! Every time Ponce goes in he ends up with that round dry spot on top:)