Man gives Tortoise mouth to mouth resuscitation

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is fantastic. Most would not have continued that long.
I sure hope that he blocks off the pond now though

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Don't know exactly why, maybe I am a killjoy, but I am sceptical of this story. Where are the videos, the proof of this having actually happened?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Don't know exactly why, maybe I am a killjoy, but I am sceptical of this story. Where are the videos, the proof of this having actually happened?
The tortoise isn't talking. If I had done this, I wouldn't have run for the camera before I started trying to revive my tortoise, and I'm too technically challenged to make a video anyway.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The tortoise isn't talking. If I had done this, I wouldn't have run for the camera before I started trying to revive my tortoise, and I'm too technically challenged to make a video anyway.
OK, point taken. It could very well be true, of course, and it was just that one guy and the tortoise for the entire hour. In that case, then it was quite a wonderful event and a terrific thing to have done!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
OK, point taken. It could very well be true, of course, and it was just that one guy and the tortoise for the entire hour. In that case, then it was quite a wonderful event and a terrific thing to have done!
Personally, I think he tried to resuscitate the tortoise. When the tortoise spit up some water, that helped. The massage and heat from the hairdryer also helped. I think the rest was just the tortoise recovering on his own.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I have considered the possibility of having to try rescusutating my pets if ever some horrible accident ever occurred!! I looked into how to give our puppies mouth-to-mouth. It was like the way you have to for a small baby. Small mouthfulls of air. Like little puffs. A big lung full of air would kill them.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks for sharing! If true, sounds like tortoises are quite hardy in the face of danger! :) It's heart-warming, but sad that he was feeding the poor thing lettuce, tomato, and banana, as she appeared to be a Russian. The dandelion weed growing between the pavement in the photo of her with food would be a much better snack for her! You can see her shell is not in the best condition, probably from years of this bad diet. He says he's "not an expert" but hopefully he learns about tortoise diets someday. Clearly he loves the tort enough to save its life.