Malnutrition

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
No, definitely not. You should get at least 20 different food plants (mostly weeds if possible, not just grocery store greens like lettuce)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are opportunistic feeders. They will eat what is available.

WithLisa is correct that they need much more variety, but that isn't at every meal - not even even day. Feed a couple of things for a few days and then change to something different.

Lettuce has little fiber, so that and the opuntia together are going to be the cause of the loose stools you mentioned in another thread.

Those two foods can be used to supplement a diet of leafy green weeds, but not as the main diet.

Collecting grasses, washing them, chopping them and adding them to the food will help with fiber. But your tort also needs the broadleaf weeds.

Can you get hibiscus leaves or grapevine leaves for example?

Mina Adel

They don't like hibiscus leaves.
I give them hibiscus flowers.
What kind of weeds ?
Pictures will help
I gave them broadleaf once and they didn't like it too

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They don't like hibiscus leaves.
I give them hibiscus flowers.
What kind of weeds ?
Pictures will help
I gave them broadleaf once and they didn't like it too
Tortoises are notoriously picky. They will hold out for what they like best, just like a child would rather eat chocolate!

You're in charge, you're Mum here. You say that dinner will not be chocolate.

Take the stuff they will eat, chop it small and wet it.
Chop a small amount of healthy stuff up small too
Mix the two together. The water will make it stick so they can't pick the best bits out.

If they eat it, slightly increase the amount of healthy stuff next feed and decrease the unhealthy.

If they refuse, leave it there until next feed and then replace with fresh food in exactly the same proportions.

Hungry torts will eat.

Mina Adel

Can you all ( forum s' members ) WRITE a name of nutritional food for my torts .
please ..
20 different names of food.
All my torts are suffering from malnutrition.
Parasites must be the cause.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Yes, Mulberry leaves are very good.
I don't know what kind of weeds you have in Egypt, are there things like dandelion, plantain, clover, violets, mallow,... ?
If not you could show pictures of your weeds, maybe we can help to identify them.

Rue

Canada
There are several lists of tortoise-safe plants available. You just have to figure out which plants are available in your part of the world, and then make sure you positively ID them.

1. http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

2. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...ises-marginated-greeks-russians-sulcata.5823/

I haven't quite figured out how to give the best 'varied' diet, but I try for 3-5 different plants per feeding and not always the same ones. That will change as the season changes too. For example I was feeding Shepherd's Purse, but that's done flowering. Now the Lamb's quarter is coming up and the Purslane should be soon as well.

With grocery items I've been getting the mixed greens, watercress, etc., and giving her some of that. That will have to be my staple for a good part of the year due to our long winters. But I might try and grow a bit of other greens under lights this winter. We'll see.

Mina Adel

Is the other name of alfalfa the clover or medicago sativa?
I am not good at identification.