Male tortoise scared and tries to climb out

AngelScreamer

So. I yesterday found outside my house a greek tortoise. He was big enough almost 30cm and i thought i would try to keep it. I built a "territory" f0r him from special pieces of wood i got from my nearby pet store. I digged a hole and placed a plaastic box of water on the hole so it can be on the same level as the ground and made a shelter for him. (btw the place i made for him was outdoors ofc . i have a huge yard). He was trying all day to climb out of it and just wandering around trying to find a way to get out. He was really scared of me as well. I thought it would be interesting to see where did he want to go . So i placed him out of the box and as soon as i let him down he headed to a corner made of leaves and digged himself in a narrow corner. What should i do ? Am I doing anything wrong?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
So. I yesterday found outside my house a greek tortoise. He was big enough almost 30cm and i thought i would try to keep it. I built a "territory" f0r him from special pieces of wood i got from my nearby pet store. I digged a hole and placed a plaastic box of water on the hole so it can be on the same level as the ground and made a shelter for him. (btw the place i made for him was outdoors ofc . i have a huge yard). He was trying all day to climb out of it and just wandering around trying to find a way to get out. He was really scared of me as well. I thought it would be interesting to see where did he want to go . So i placed him out of the box and as soon as i let him down he headed to a corner made of leaves and digged himself in a narrow corner. What should i do ? Am I doing anything wrong?
Is he native to your environment? In other words, are there others like him living wild in your area?
If so, please just let him go in the woods where he wants to be. Take some pictures of him for us first, if you are going to let him go back where he came from.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you?

Can we see a pic of the tortoise for ID purposes?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You asked what can you do. Well, first of all, you need to know if this is a wild tortoise (do the live naturally where you live) or is it someone's escaped pet. If it was a pet, think of how you would feel if your pet tortoise somehow got out of his yard and the person who found it decided to keep it. Not good, huh? So, try to find this tortoise's owner. Place posters on the utility poles in the neighborhood. Some newspapers will print "found" ads for free.

So, to help us understand, tell us where you live (just the general area will do) and show us some pictures of the tortoise.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Do you have a hiding place for him? Sounds like he's just trying to get a bit of shade and hide out where nobody can see him.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Previously captive or first time in captivity, tortoises are still "wild" animals. They are not domesticated like a dog or cat. Human interaction is not part of their need for survival. They're always going to attempt to get out of an enclosure. Less so as they become more accustomed to captivity, but the instinct is still there. Place one outside their enclosure outdoors and walk away. In a matter of minutes you'll no longer have a pet tortoise.