Male leopard reoccurring prolapse. Help

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My 8 year old male, Mort, is broken. Last year I put him with my females in the spring. I noticed he was bleeding after breeding. Saw the vet, separated him for the rest of summer, winter. Never saw a prolapse last year. Vet had no answers even after sedation, and exam.
He has been fine all winter. He has normal bowel movements. Put him with the girls today, and after breeding I noticed he was not retracting his penis. Brought him in to soak. Noticed he was bleeding. I have applied sugar, and it seems to be slowly retracting.
I need to figure out why this is happening though. Anyone have ideas where/what to start looking at?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just grabbing at straws here. Check the area, bottom and top shell for any sharp, jagged shell.
Also, maybe check the area of the female too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Just grabbing at straws here. Check the area, bottom and top shell for any sharp, jagged shell.
Also, maybe check the area of the female too.
I thought that might have been the problem last year! Kind of the conclusion I drew, because Scarlett still had her fiberglass patch on from her surgery. Not so this year. He was not injured even afterwards this year. Just unable to retract. It seems like it was swollen enough vessels burst causing the bleeding. Sugar reduced the size greatly, but not enough yet. Why does this kind of thing happen on Sunday?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Right! Always a Sunday or Holiday.
How old is he? Possibly immature? Let's alert some of the others. @deadheadvet @Yvonne G @tortadise @Tom @Markw84 @Will @Jacqui
If you can think of others, send them a shout out.
Good luck. Be sure to update if it gets figured out.
Thanks. He is 8.5, but small. Possibly immature. Would that cause a prolapse with attempting to breed? He successfully bred last year before I separated him. My females have produced over 50 babies. One of them has never been exposed to any other male.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Don't really know. does his penis look normal, not injured in anyway.
Lol. I really haven't seen very many. It is huge! It has gone down some, but I see a long night ahead of me, and a vet visit in the morning. Probably not my local vet either. A drive to Pullman to WA State University. Guess you are the only one on, or at least the only one with a desire to help me. Thanks for that. I will keep it moist. Sugar helped, but not enough. It has stayed the same for the last hour. Not sure what I will do for overnight. Sigh.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to keep it moist/wet, so you could put him in a small plastic box where he really can't move around and then try to strap a very wet towel to him or let him stay in a small amount of water, the amount like you would use for a soak or a little more. Just be sure to keep him warm the whole time.
I'm sure others will check in as soon as they get back on the forum.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Any improvement through the night?
It is much smaller, but still prolapse. Soaking in fresh water now, and will call the vet as soon as they open.
He only has problems when mating. Had just put him with the girls. Bleeding started a couple hours after, and was already prolapse. Did fecal last year, and was clean. Did blood work too, and that was ok. I don't have, and can't find any ideas on the cause. Very frustrated.
Thanks for checking.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Jodie Unfortunately, for you and this situation, I have never had to deal with prolapse problems. From what you are describing, I am at a loss for ideas. Seems like a genetic/anatomical abnormality. Please do keep us updated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I hate to even think this, but I am betting this is something not repairable long run and will happen each time he breeds. :( Have not heard if it before with any others. Fingers crossed for finding an answer and one that keeps him able to use. You hatch beautiful little ones.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
A completely different species - we had a snapping turtles with the same issue at the Philly Zoo with an abundance of vet oversight.

The take away was after a third 'can't tuck it in' was to remove the penis and not allow the turtle to attempt mating.

Markw84 may have suggested the "why" .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Huge bummer. Broken indeed. :( See the local vet in an hour to get it out away. My vet that knows more than just the minimum is not very accessible.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Even some sedation, not getting it to retract. Going to continue trying for a couple hours. Does anyone know if we amputate, will I be able to keep him with the girls. Or even amputated, will he still have male aggression and harass them? @Markw84 @Will @Jacqui @Tom @Yvonne @deadheadvet anyone have experience with this?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, it is done. As to behavior after, I do not think it was mentioned, but then I think they were all single kept males.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I hope it turns out alright, I too wonder like Mark if it is an anatomical issue.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Even some sedation, not getting it to retract. Going to continue trying for a couple hours. Does anyone know if we amputate, will I be able to keep him with the girls. Or even amputated, will he still have male aggression and harass them? @Markw84 @Will @Jacqui @Tom @Yvonne @deadheadvet anyone have experience with this?
With the snapping turtle at the zoo, it just became an exhibition animal. Kept as a single.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I had a vigorous breeder male sulcata injure its penis. After the second time he got moved to his own private enclosure to live out his days by himself. He's much happier now.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
If you need to amputate his penis which sounds like a possibility, if this is strictly a breeding animal, I would give him away to a good home and move on. If he isn't , then he would need to have his own enclosure strictly as a pet.