male and female.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have two torts that I am rehoming/selling. A male that's 18inch long and a female 16.5 both around 7 yrs old. They have been breeding but no eggs laid yet. Since I have had these guys since they were babies I'm not inclined to just give them away, but I also don't know what the market is for these guys. I would like to sell them together. What is fair market value?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
The state you live in will determine their value, place like CA, value will be lower since there are more of them, back eas value should be higher. Since they are not actually mating, just breeding, no offspring, that will also affect value.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look around on places like Fauna classified and see what sulcatas same size as yours are going for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The female is too small to make babies yet, and she is not enjoying being harassed all day by the amorous male who was ready to breed a long time ago. They really need to be separated ASAP.

Where are you? Can you post some pics? This should help get them sold sooner.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am in So.cali Ontario. I thought I have read that females are ready to breed around 5 years old? I know its not exact but around that time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought I have read that females are ready to breed around 5 years old? I know its not exact but around that time.

It has nothing to do with age, its size. Males are usually ready to fertilize by 14". Females usually need to be 17-18", with an occasional smaller exception. If a male reaches 14" in 18 months, then he's ready to go. I have a 20", 50 lb., 4 and a half year old female that was large enough to breed a year ago, but I'm keeping my females without a male right now.

The tortoise on the top of your first pic might be male. The anal scutes look like they bending toward female shape, but that tail is too big for a female. I think you might have a male whose secondary sexual characteristics are being suppressed due to his constant domination by a larger more dominant male. I've seen this happen a few times. Time will tell.

In any case, I will keep my ears open and try to hep you find a home for these tortoises.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I hope they are not both males, if they are the larger male has been mounting the other one. Several times now.

I am not questioning you, I just want to make sure if i list them as male and female i am correct, or male/male.

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
They are so beautiful! I can't wait for mine to be this size! I cannot believe you are willing to give them away! I love my Kronk too much for that and have only had him since December! I'd love to have them- but I wonder what shipping would cost... probably too too much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hope they are not both males, if they are the larger male has been mounting the other one. Several times now.

I am not questioning you, I just want to make sure if i list them as male and female i am correct, or male/male.

I think you need to list them as male and unknown yet. The lower one is an obvious male. The top one shows the characteristics of both, but if I were forced to guess, I would guess male due primarily tail size. 100 pound 30 year old females don't have a tale that long. Still, the anal scute shape is what makes it not definitive for me. Males will regularly mount other males, so that has no bearing on sex determination. Heck females will mount males or other females sometimes too.