M.E.P. Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollins6

5 Year Member
Hey! I'm setting up my 40 gal aquarium and trying to get plants in it now, so that they are established by the time I decide to get the little guy.

What are some inside plants that will be good for food/space filler?

Also should I get a mister for the aquarium?

currently my substrate is sphagnum moss/cypress mulch mixed. I'm going to put a bottom layer of normal dirt for the plants.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I would not suggest live plants in a MEP enclosure. They are very rough on plants. Your substrate is the same as mine as I have been using since 2007. I keep alocassia and colacassia in pots as houseplants and harvest leaves to feed them. I would suggest deep substrate, an appriate size hide, and wading/soaking pool. If you don't already have the tank I would suggest tub instead as it will quickly outgrow a 40L.

mcollins6

5 Year Member
I was able to find a very cheap aquarium so I have it already. The aquarium makes it a little easier for the 5.0 tube light that I was advised to buy. Currently I only have a pothos in one end of the aquarium that I got for really cheap so if the little guy tears it up that's fine.
I will be building an outdoor enclosure when I feel this is getting too small. Hoping that it will last a year or two though.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
mcollins6 said:
Hey! I'm setting up my 40 gal aquarium and trying to get plants in it now, so that they are established by the time I decide to get the little guy.

What are some inside plants that will be good for food/space filler?

Also should I get a mister for the aquarium?

currently my substrate is sphagnum moss/cypress mulch mixed. I'm going to put a bottom layer of normal dirt for the plants.

Hi mcollins6. Where are you located? That will help regarding advice on getting a mister. In Southeast Florida where I live, I keep my mee hatchling enclosure on a shaded screen porch, soak him at least once a day and mist him till he drips at least once a day. He's now ten and a half weeks old and 62 grams. Good luck!

mcollins6

5 Year Member
I am located in Central/West Texas. basically dry. I plan to keep him inside for a year or two until I can set up a good outside enclosure. The outside enclosure I plan to have a sprinkler go off a couple times a day to keep the pen moist.

but i'm not worrying about that yet. Just want to get the best indoor enclosure I can for the time being. and if the funds allow. I am limited on funds. I have bought things separately and not going to pay for the tortoise until its all ready to run smoothly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I built my 3yr old Mep a bigger outside habitat and planted a gardenia (not edible), a fern (not edible) and a couple of hostas. It only took three days and the hostas are eaten down to the nubs.

For an indoor habitat, don't plant your plants next to the walls because they will walk all over them.

Hosta, pansies, violas, crassula, allocasia, wandering jew, gazania, ginger...there are many, many edible plants, but like Itort says, your tortoise won't let them grow.

mcollins6

5 Year Member
hmmm. ok, well what do you recommend as space filler? I'm going to cover the top part of it with some dead leaves that have fallen. I will have a big clay water bowl. the big shallow ones. I don't know exactly what they are called. As well as a half log hide, a food spot, and some rocks here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.