Lucy the Little Guy

BevSmith

Hi!!! Lucy came to live with us on Friday. She’s just about 2 weeks old. I am terrified to hurt her.

She was bred local to us, and was ravenous when she got here.

Her current favorite hobby is burrowing in Eco Earth.

She seems to be eating okay and drinks when soaked.

My question for all seasoned owners of babies: she’s not nearly as active today as I have seen in the last couple days. She is completely burrowed under the dirt, under the heat emitter. She was out of her tank for a soak this morning and ate a bit, but not as much as I thought she would. Do I need to be worried?

Current temp in tank is 90 degrees on hot side and 80 on cool side.

Sage words of wisdom?IMG_5138.jpg

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hi!!! Lucy came to live with us on Friday. She’s just about 2 weeks old. I am terrified to hurt her.

My question for all seasoned owners of babies: she’s not nearly as active today as I have seen in the last couple days. She is completely burrowed under the dirt, under the heat emitter. She was out of her tank for a soak this morning and ate a bit, but not as much as I thought she would. Do I need to be worried?

Sage words of wisdom?View attachment 233462
Hi Bev. Lucy sure is a cute little tort. What is her humidity, and size of her enclosure? Is it an open top or closed top enclosure and what lights do you have. I don't have enough experience to completely help you but if you only got her Friday I would say let her get settled in first before worrying. Torts don't like change so having a new Mom and enclosure can take a little while to get used to. Just keep on offering food and soaking everyday. Btw congratulations on your new addition to your family.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Sage words of wisdom?View attachment 233462
By the looks of your photo she also seems to be in a glass enclosure. I would suggest putting a barrier at the bottom of the glass so she cannot see herself and or out. If they see themselves in the glass they think it is another tort and can get stressed out by that and if they can see a big world outside of the enclosure they will want to go into it and you don't want your little one to be able to roam the house/floors freely as that is not advisable for all sorts of reasons.

BevSmith

Hi Bev. Lucy sure is a cute little tort. What is her humidity, and size of her enclosure? Is it an open top or closed top enclosure and what lights do you have. I don't have enough experience to completely help you but if you only got her Friday I would say let her get settled in first before worrying. Torts don't like change so having a new Mom and enclosure can take a little while to get used to. Just keep on offering food and soaking everyday. Btw congratulations on your new addition to your family.

Let me show you the setup! I will be changing the substrate to all leafy greens, as suggested by my mentor. The idea behind it is that everything in the tank is edible. She does really love burrowing in the dirt, which is so cute (if it’s healthy!).

As you can see, the tank is covered in foil.

The humidity this morning is about 55%, which seems rather low to me. IMG_1521397044.355150.jpg

This first cheapie gauge is in the warm side: IMG_1521397060.695744.jpg

This one is the cool side:
IMG_1521397108.503979.jpg

The ambient temp in the room surrounding is about 80-85F

Here she is poking her head out of the dirt:IMG_1521397172.907904.jpg

Judging from the food and water dishes, I bet she just got through eating. I missed it!IMG_1521397227.097564.jpg

Melis

Maryland
What a cutie! A substrate of leafy greens is not an acceptable substrate. Not sure why a mentor would suggest that...

BevSmith

By the looks of your photo she also seems to be in a glass enclosure. I would suggest putting a barrier at the bottom of the glass so she cannot see herself and or out. If they see themselves in the glass they think it is another tort and can get stressed out by that and if they can see a big world outside of the enclosure they will want to go into it and you don't want your little one to be able to roam the house/floors freely as that is not advisable for all sorts of reasons.

Yes she’s in an aquarium! Maybe I should change from foil to a towel?

Melis

Maryland
I've read where people put something like duct tape around the bottom of the whole tank a couple inches high, so you can still see I. But the tort can't see out

BevSmith

Worried about the burrowing and lack of activity - or maybe I’m just missing the activity!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I am not sure about the substrate but you could do something like I did or the duct tape will also work. I will leave the nitty gritty advice to the experts. It looks like you have coco coir substrate, is that correct? If so that is one of the substrates they generally advise using on here. I would pat it down with your hand and I would sink the water bowl and food bowl so it is level with the substrate. Just makes it easier for your baby to get into and out of. @Bee62 has done quite a bit of research on Aldabras and could maybe advise a bit more on your tort.20180310_151551.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I am not sure about the substrate but you could do something like I did or the duct tape will also work. I will leave the nitty gritty advice to the experts. It looks like you have coco coir substrate, is that correct? If so that is one of the substrates they generally advise using on here. I would pat it down with your hand and I would sink the water bowl and food bowl so it is level with the substrate. Just makes it easier for your baby to get into and out of. @Bee62 has done quite a bit of research on Aldabras and could maybe advise a bit more on your tort.View attachment 233470
I am having issues with network. Not sure if it is on my side or the forums side. Let me know if you can see my picture or not as I cannot see it on my app.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Worried about the burrowing and lack of activity - or maybe I’m just missing the activity!
Burrowing is normal and you might be missing the activity. Are you at home all day or at work? If at work you might be missing it. Also remember it is a two week old baby so activity might not be much. My understanding is from reading on the TFO is that in the wild babies hide most of the time in burrows. One for hydration and second for survival.

Bee62

Germany
Hi, here I am.:)
At first congrats to your cute Aldabra baby. I am searching for an Aldabra too, but in Germany it is difficutl to get one.
To your setup:
I would asap change the thermo and hygrometer to digital ones. They are much more exact.
Basking spot must be 40 C ( 104 F ). The rest of the enclosure should be at least 87 F and night temps never below 85 F.
Do you use a ceramic heat emitter at night ? Night times must be at 85 F or your baby will get sick.
Soak your baby daily in 101 F warm water for half an hour. I would soak such a little guy in a little tub in the enclosure near the basking lamp that the water stays warm during the soak. Soaking in the enclosure is good to avoid any cold drafts.
Your baby needs high humidity. Try to have 85 % humidity. Spray the enclosure and the baby tort with a flower sprayer several times a day but be sure that it is warm in the enclosure day and night.
High humidity and low temps will make your baby sick. High humidity and high temps will make your baby healthy.
I don`t like coco coir or Eco earth as a substrate because it is to messy with water. I prefer fine orchid bark. It contains humidity as well.

Your baby needs a hide to feel save. Something like a burrow.
Endible plants in the enclosure would be fine too. For such a little thing all is scary and she burrows herself into the substrate because of her natural instinct so secure herself against predators. Please give her more places to hide and feel save.
Please keep us updated on little Lucy.
Where do you live and where do you get her from ?

Bee62

Germany
I am having issues with network. Not sure if it is on my side or the forums side. Let me know if you can see my picture or not as I cannot see it on my app.
I can see your pic !:)