Lost Turtle Foundd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urtle

5 Year Member
Spotted this little guy while i was driving through a busy road. Not sure how it got there, but im very glad I found him out of all people. unfortunatley I cant take care of him, but is there anyone who can?

this will be my first rescue! It would feel really nice on my part to find him a home:)

Anyone?

Attachments

• IMG00376.jpg
    IMG00376.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG00375.jpg
    IMG00375.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG00374.jpg
    IMG00374.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 67
M

Maggie Cummings

Looks like a RES and she's probably a female looking for a place to nest. Could you please go put her back in the direction she was going? Normally we just want you to take them off the road and place them down in the direction they were going and not take them home with you. They are illegal to keep in Oregon and if DF&G took it from you they would euthanize her. So just go put her back on the side of the road she was headed to, and normally they will be fine. This is the time of the year they mate and nest, so that's probably what she was doing...Looking to make a nest...Thanks...

If you think it might belong to someone you might put signs up around and do other things to find an owner...but she looks wild to me...

Urtle

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Looks like a RES and she's probably a female looking for a place to nest. Could you please go put her back in the direction she was going? Normally we just want you to take them off the road and place them down in the direction they were going and not take them home with you. They are illegal to keep in Oregon and if DF&G took it from you they would euthanize her. So just go put her back on the side of the road she was headed to, and normally they will be fine. This is the time of the year they mate and nest, so that's probably what she was doing...Looking to make a nest...Thanks...

If you think it might belong to someone you might put signs up around and do other things to find an owner...but she looks wild to me...

Definatley looks wild... I was only worried because it seemed like a very odd place to find a turtle

So for sure I should take it back to the same spot?

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, normally yes, unless it's the middle of a mall or a place where there wouldn't be a water source. She's a water turtle, where did you find her?

Urtle

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Well, normally yes, unless it's the middle of a mall or a place where there wouldn't be a water source. She's a water turtle, where did you find her?

The only water source near by where I found her is at least a 5-10 min drive uphill and it a small dam sorta like a pond... whats my best bet, take her to the water source or take her where I found her?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Aren't you in CA? Those aren't native to CA, so if that's the case it should not be released to go nest. Good heavens. Rescue sounds good. Sorry if I'm wrong about your location.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Normally I wouldn't contradict Maggie, however, in this instance I'm going to have to. Red ears are a nuisance animal here in California, and it is against the law to release them into our native waterways. It probably IS a wild turtle, however, it would be irresponsible of you to put it back. Try to find a rescue and turn it in. There are many chapters of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club in southern California and they will take in the turtle.

Or if you know of someone who has a fenced-in pond, ask them if they'd like to have a turtle.

I have several female RES in my pond. They are very entertaining and a wonderful pet.

You did a good thing picking her up so she doesn't get killed on the road. I hope you can find someone to take her.

Josh D

5 Year Member
Not sure where in SoCal you are located but we have a backyard pond built for turtles. There are so many of these RES sold as babies that become unwanted once they outgrow their enclosure that I'm giving a home. We're located in the San Fernando Valley area but am willing to travel reasonable distances if it would help.

M

Maggie Cummings

Josh D said:
Not sure where in SoCal you are located but we have a backyard pond built for turtles. There are so many of these RES sold as babies that become unwanted once they outgrow their enclosure that I'm giving a home. We're located in the San Fernando Valley area but am willing to travel reasonable distances if it would help.

Josh, thank you so much for doing that. I mean creating an area for unwanted RES. I just love them but because of their invasive ways nobody likes them or wants them. They are illegal to own even here in Oregon. I so totally understand how they have taken over the territory belonging to The Pacific Coast pond turtle and made that turtle a threatened species, but RES are great pets, they are easy keepers with big outgoing personalities and they will eat anything. It's not their fault they do what comes naturally and eat everything, sleep anywhere and breed like a crazy person.
It was a RES years ago that got me interested in turtles. My sister has had a turtle and tortoise rescue for over 30 years, and I was never interested in them at all. But I went with her one day to pick up a turtle, she met this woman in a parking lot and was given a cardboard box. My sis placed the box between us and I made the mistake of looking in. Those eyes met mine and as they say, the rest is history. I fell in love and my life hasn't been the same since. I love RES, my Scruffie has been chewed by a dog and looks pretty crappy missing part of her shell and the rest is all scratched up but I love that mean old turtle. I have had her for most of her life as she wasn't but about a year old when I got her, but even tho I take really good care of her, she would still bite my hand off at the elbow. She's mean and ornery as a snake...
anyhow, I didn't mean to go back there, just wanted to say thanks to you for taking care of unwanted RES...

Urtle

5 Year Member
Josh D said:

Sorry Josh:( I already found someone who was willing to take it, wish i had seen your reply earlier.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Josh D: Welcome to the forum!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.