Lost leopard Tortoise

GoMargotgo

5 Year Member
My beloved tortoise has gone missing from her day-time pen. Taken? or bulldozed out? or? not sure. BUT, what are habits of a wandering torti? Where might she have gone? we are in Vermont. We have searched for hours and hours....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). So sorry it's under these conditions. Leopards don't burrow like sulcatas and Russians and even more. I would guess more like stolen. However, they will plant themselves deep into tall grass and weeds. They do blend in really well. I would crawl on hands and knees and feel around. I have lost mine before, at least I thought, just to find him right in front of me, hunkered down into the tall weeds. So look at the base of plants and bushes and feel around don't just look. Good luck, let us know if or when you find him.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i agree, go check out the area she was in very closely. check the border of your yard, they don't usually wander out in to the complete open, instead they skirt the perimeter for an escape. i would not stop looking, vt nights are much too child for a Leo ):

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, be sure to look in the morning When the sun comes out. He will be wanting to warm himself up.

GoMargotgo

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). So sorry it's under these conditions. Leopards don't burrow like sulcatas and Russians and even more. I would guess more like stolen. However, they will plant themselves deep into tall grass and weeds. They do blend in really well. I would crawl on hands and knees and feel around. I have lost mine before, at least I thought, just to find him right in front of me, hunkered down into the tall weeds. So look at the base of plants and bushes and feel around don't just look. Good luck, let us know if or when you find him.

We have looked every day for weeks now... everywhere. To no avail. I am heartsick, and in a way, do hope someone has her. At least she will be warm.

GoMargotgo

5 Year Member
We have looked and looked, every day. For hours. All to no avail....
I am hoping, now, that someone does have her...at least then she will be warm. We have had tracking dogs, search parties, noting worked.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry, you haven't found her yet. Don't give up hope though. Keep looking every day, even if you don't actually keep searching, just take a scan when you outside. Be sure to put up posters in your area and alert your neighbors, vet clinics and any animal rescues or animal control. If someone didn't steal her, she could still be found.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Definitely keep looking. I found Shelly in the most random place, and I was on the phone, and BAM! There she was

GoMargotgo

5 Year Member
wellington said:
So sorry, you haven't found her yet. Don't give up hope though. Keep looking every day, even if you don't actually keep searching, just take a scan when you outside. Be sure to put up posters in your area and alert your neighbors, vet clinics and any animal rescues or animal control. If someone didn't steal her, she could still be found.

Thank you for the words of hope.... I do keep looking and feeling under leaves , and no luck yet. Thank you.

GoMargotgo said:
Have you found it !!?? Hope you have :(

From Chlöe Essex,England

No, wish wish we do find her
this spring. Here in Vermont we have more than a foot of snow on the ground, so I am tremendously worried.

Oh my xx Im so sorry x keep hope x How old is he\she xxx Just keep hope it has to be some where xxx keep me posted xx :(

From Chlöe Essex,England

GoMargotgo

5 Year Member
GoMargotgo said:
Have you found it !!?? Hope you have :(

From Chlöe Essex,England

No, wish wish we do find her
this spring. Here in Vermont we have more than a foot of snow on the ground, so I am tremendously worried.

Oh my xx Im so sorry x keep hope x How old is he\she xxx Just keep hope it has to be some where xxx keep me posted xx :(

From Chlöe Essex,England

Thanks. She is 20! I have had her since baby-hood and I am heartbroken but hopeful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Darn, I was excited to see you post. I was hoping to read that you found her. Don't give up hope. I sure wish you the best of luck and you get her back. Keep us posted.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Me too....:(:(:(........Best wishes to you and best luck to your Leopard.

dds7155

5 Year Member
I Hate that for you, do look everywhere twice ,, They can get in places you wouldn't think they could, they blend in so good too,having him 20 years and and not knowing where he is is nerve wrecking , i have a yellow nape amazon ,we owned over 30 years he was a honking baby when i got him ,and even though we hate each other ,it would drive me nuts if he came missing , (it's more he hates me , he loves my wife ,) hopefully someone has him ,put out lost posters everywhere maybe someone will know something , anyways Good luck

GoMargotgo

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Darn, I was excited to see you post. I was hoping to read that you found her. Don't give up hope. I sure wish you the best of luck and you get her back. Keep us posted.

Thank you. Will do. with all the snow and cold we have had this winter, optimism is in short supply.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I hope somebody has her and that comes spring they and you some how cross paths. *hugs*