Lost 20 lb sulcata.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
OMG! That is so cool. That a doggie will hopefully help you. Best news! I loved reading that he finds gopher tortoises. C'mon doggie. You can do this. We want you to find your baby Rumor. Looking forward to good news to come. Lighting a white candle for Rumor to find his way home to you in whatever way it happens. : )

milkandsam

5 Year Member
So sorry! My dog was abused before we got her... She avoids people like nobody's business! She was missing for 5 days... Just hold out hope and never give up! Keep venting on here, keep searching. I'm sure you will find your tort!

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
OMG I just read your thread! How awful for you guys! You must be sick over this. My Russian got out of my yard a few years back and a kind gentlemen returned him before I knew he was missing! Don't give up hope! If he did get off your property there are still lots of good people around who would love to reunite you with your pet! It sounds like you are doing everything possible to get him home safely. He will show up! Try to stay positive!! Good luck!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
mike taylor said:
Keep your hopes up they can handle the cold for a little bit . He will be fine . You will find him just keep looking .

The dog came out this morning and worked for an hour or 2. She did pick up her scent at the spot we suspected she got out at, she then went under the fence and across the road to the woods we've been walking. That's when she lost the scent. It's been closer today so we're hoping he's burrowed safely and staying warm. The dog will return again and try another day. Frustrating.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Did the dog lose the scent after crossing the road? In other words, could it be possible that ad the tortoise was crossing, someone in a car stopped and picked him up? That would explain how the dog lost the scent after crossing the road. Just a thought especially after those wicked women claimed to have seen the tort in the other's back yard.

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
Have you found him yet? I'm really hoping the little guy will come back:) sorry about all this mess!!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
sibi said:
Did the dog lose the scent after crossing the road? In other words, could it be possible that ad the tortoise was crossing, someone in a car stopped and picked him up? That would explain how the dog lost the scent after crossing the road. Just a thought especially after those wicked women claimed to have seen the tort in the other's back yard.

Thats the feeling I've gotten too, that someone saw him crossing and picked him up. Good intentions or not.
The dog went right to the fence across the street, we entered and she hesitated to enter the tall brush, finally she did but kept circling and losing a scent. I don't know if she was just excited or really working or not.
In other unbelievably tragic news, the owner of said field...mowed it all down with his giant tractor.
I woke to this sound I couldn't understand and ran outside to see him making passes. It's said he used to harvest it but hasn't in 10 years, he decided after I said I was looking for my tortoise in that field to give it another go I guess. I was so horror struck I about passed out.
I ran out there with my partner and we walked every inch, no sign of torts, thank the Gods! I am still outraged that he decided to harvest it in the middle of the winter for no apparent reason. I know, it's his property, just mind boggling that he hasn't touched it in years and decided to now come out of his retirement and start farming again. I sound bitter... ugh.
Still no sign of tortsie though. I don't know what to do. We put tons of signs up and stuffed every mailbox.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You don't sound as bitter as I would. You have a right anyway. The guy, knowing what you told him, is being a jerk. So hoped you had found him by now. I wouldn't count the crazy ladie(s) out all the way. He may possibly be there. Fingers still crossed. Hoping you get a Christmas miracle.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
wellington said:
You don't sound as bitter as I would. You have a right anyway. The guy, knowing what you told him, is being a jerk. So hoped you had found him by now. I wouldn't count the crazy ladie(s) out all the way. He may possibly be there. Fingers still crossed. Hoping you get a Christmas miracle.

Still nothing. The weather here has finally warmed up again. It was warm when we list him then cooler for a week and now warm again. Hoping he's safe wherever he is. Heart breaking to think we won't see him for Christmas.
A lady called me today and said she found a tortoise stuck in her fence but that it looks 30 pounds versus 20, I got excited because torts look so much heavier than they are! But then she said she found him 2 months ago :( Going to go take a look at him either way. Make sure she doesn't have a gopher and try to find that guys/gals real family too.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
So sad. I am so sorry you are going through this. Gosh. Darn. I do hope ... one never knows .. hoping for happy some day ... soon ...

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I meant to add, the hoarder lady found out someone had contacted me about a tort they found...she had the nerve to ask me if I would put her in touch with the lady because she wants one...red flag much? I don't know what I can do to get closer and know for a fact she doesn't have him.
Today I learned this same crazy lady "lost" one of her dogs (she calls herself a rescue and has 80 or so dogs so I've heard) and looked for hours only to realize the dog was locked in her car in her yard. Kill me.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How awful. You have to go through all this. Best wishes to you and your big boy. Wish he will be home soon.

TMK1971

Southern California
I read all the way through this hoping for a happy ending...at least it isn't a trajic ending, just unfinished!
Hoping you find him or he finds you sooner or later!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Any news? There was a tort that made the news here in AZ that had gone missing for a full year and was reunited with his family just last week. He went wondering for over 30 miles. then he was with someone for 6 months before they realized he had a chip in his leg. Once they scanned his leg, they contacted the owner and reunited them. So, DO NOT EVER EVER give up!!