Losing all of my tortoises

tracey.p

Location (City and/or State)
Wembley, London
I posted on here a while ago regarding my Sulcata tortoise Flower, who wasn't doing so great, (probably as a result of being dehydrated at the pet shop I bought her from) and I received some great advice on how to best house my more tropical torts (closed chamber set up). Since setting her up in a vivarium, aswell as my other Sulcata Crash and my Leopard tortoise, Pokey, I have lost her, (she died in the night) which was wholly unexpected since she started getting better. Pokey and Crash beforehand were healthy, happy little torts who were very greedy and active, and since being moved into a vivarium are sluggish and withdrawn. I would like to point out that all the temps are perfect, it is very humid, they have two shallow water bowls each, and three hides, as well as fake leaves and plants to hide in; the substrate is coco noir. and they are in separate vivarium's. I have recently spent over £200 at the vets trying to save Crash, who has metabolic bone disease and Pokey is heading the exact same way - I will probably lose him soon. MBD is nearly always caused by not enough UVB and not enough calcium- I would like to point out that I sprinkle a supplement on their diet of freshly cut weeds and grass everyday, and they are under 12% UVB strip lights and a heat bulb on a thermostat. I have ran out of ideas of what to do, I am literally waiting to lose them. It is so frustrating and I sometimes wish I would have just left Pokey and Crash in their plastic runs, with a good old solar glo mercury vapour lamp instead - because that's when they were healthiest. The pain of watching your baby tortoises slip away before you is the hardest thing in the world - especially when everything is how is should be (apparently) in a closed chamber style set up. I have no idea what I am ding wrong anymore, and I will not accept that they all had 'hatchling failure syndrome' since two of them were from a very good breeder, and they have always had access to water, hides and cooler spots if need be. My advice to anyone would be to listen to your tort and maybe the set way of doing things is not always best - it only leads to heartbreak.

turtlemanfla88

I see you live in England ,but I had adults and babies make a 360 turn around when i gave them natural sunlight. This has worked for me in 60F or above even if it was only for one hour a couple times a week.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Perhaps the UVB lights are too far from the torts to provide enough radiation. Have you measured the UVB emitted?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You say temps are right but what are the temps and what are you using to monitor the temps? If it's genetic or from a bad start with the pet shop then there's nothing you can do but try and see.

Typically we see this with someone who's temps are not right. High humidity with low temps causes this. How sure are you that your temps are correct?

tracey.p

Wembley, London
I have a temp gun, a thermostat to control the temps and they are on a timer, right under the bulb is 100-110, warm side is high eighties to low nineties, cooler side is high seventies, I check sometimes twice a day. The strip lights are the highest UVB we could buy, and are only around 30cm off of the vivarium floor. I don't know whether it is too cold to take them out for an hour a day? It has been snowing here, but maybe on a warmer day? I have thought about it. I am just desperate now.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Do you have any south facing windows? I am in the northern united states and it is far too cold to even consider taking our sulcata outside, so in addition to his lights we let him hang out in our dining room in front of our south facing deck doors at least a couple afternoons a week. It always get him extra active.

tracey.p

Wembley, London
Oh, and I also spray into the viv multiple times a day, and have sphagnum moss in all of the sleeping areas. How do I measure the UVB?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Just make sure you have a safe enclosure for him to roam when you do. We used to just put him in a box, but now we have our extra planting inserts there and let him hang out in those so he can snack and get real sun.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 35

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I am sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. I hope they pull through.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry you're having this problem. My suggestion was going to be the same as what johnsonbosswell suggested: put the MVB back.

Sometimes a drastic change is hard on tortoises. It might be a good idea to go back to the old way of taking care of them, but try to cover the habitat.

phebe121

Sorry for your loss I keep my temp at 85 cool and 98 to 105 basking and I use coconut coir and I just poor water on it and mix it up anything below 80 they can't digest food

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying that your other two get well soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have any south facing windows? I am in the northern united states and it is far too cold to even consider taking our sulcata outside, so in addition to his lights we let him hang out in our dining room in front of our south facing deck doors at least a couple afternoons a week. It always get him extra active.

Although the sun light will perk up a tortoise, at least it does mine, the glass the sun is shining through is blocking the uvb, so don't think he is getting any extra uvb by you setting him in front of the windows. Uvb also does not go through screen, at least very little of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry,for your loss and this trouble. I would do the same as suggested as far as gong back to the old enclosure and lighting. I wish you the very best. I so hope they can pull through for you.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Although the sun light will perk up a tortoise, at least it does mine, the glass the sun is shining through is blocking the uvb, so don't think he is getting any extra uvb by you setting him in front of the windows. Uvb also does not go through screen, at least very little of it.

I know, but since we have older, clear glass doors, i imagine he is still getting quite a bit of UVA and quite a bit of warmth, plus he just loves destroying all the new, tasty seedlings. :D

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I know how hard this situation is. It broke my heart when I lost 2 Leopard hatchlings to hatchling fail. I am so sorry you're having these problems with your babies. I sure hope they pull through for you.

tracey.p

Wembley, London
Thank you everyone, after this post I put pokey back into his old enclosure under the MVB, and he perked right up and ate the most I have seen him eat for days; it was only cucumber for now, but I am going to try and transition him back to his normal diet tomorrow, or over the next few days. I will see how it goes, and let you all know :)