Looking to place a Sulcata in a good home

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptile_luvr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Virginia, USA
I have a beautiful Sulcata named Makenna. She came to me as a rescue a while back and my family and I just fell absolutely in love with her. We were supposed to be moving into a farm house this Summer with 2 acres of land that I could set up for her, but I received a call this morning to inform me that we would not be moving and this leaves me in an apartment for undisclosed amount of time. It is shattering my heart to have to find her a new home, but it is a must as I can not give her proper long term care in an apartment. According to my vet she is approximately 5 years old. She weighed just barely under 10 pounds in December, so I would imagine by now she weighs just over 10 pounds. She is very friendly, a great eater, and loves to follow you around outside as much as she loves to make you chase her down. ;) She adores having the back of her shell rubbed or very lightly scratched and will sit beside you for hours and let you do it. She is very active and fun to watch and always looks like she is smiling. If you are interested please let me know.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sounds as though you have a great relationship with her...also sounds like you get her outside time...is there absolutely no possibility of you perhaps setting her up with a friend or family member until your situation changes?? I mean sometimes when we are put in a spot we feel defeated in our hopes.....is the apartment going to be where you live for alot of years? I apologize, I just feel your sadness and am trying to give ya some support here.....:D

I mean you know your situation better than anyone....and if revoking is your only options then I totally get it...and I hope someone here will be able to help ya out....

Uh I am using my dumb smart phone and it is always correcting me or replacing words...lol....the word "revoking" should have remained as "rehoming"....:D

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
ascott said:
Sounds as though you have a great relationship with her...also sounds like you get her outside time...is there absolutely no possibility of you perhaps setting her up with a friend or family member until your situation changes?? I mean sometimes when we are put in a spot we feel defeated in our hopes.....is the apartment going to be where you live for alot of years? I apologize, I just feel your sadness and am trying to give ya some support here.....:D

I mean you know your situation better than anyone....and if revoking is your only options then I totally get it...and I hope someone here will be able to help ya out....

Uh I am using my dumb smart phone and it is always correcting me or replacing words...lol....the word "revoking" should have remained as "rehoming"....:D

I agree with 'ascott'... :)
Well I have a lovely home & welcoming arms in Portland OR. & should things get better; you just let me know & I can have her back to you... my home & post...

Want to adopt

reptile_luvr

5 Year Member
Central Virginia, USA
@ Ascott: I do get her outside at least a couple of hours every day. I just worry that my situation won't change before she is too large to carry in and out on my own. I adore her, my whole family does, and it is just tearing me up. I really don't want to have to find her a new home. I am checking into some options with friends that live in houses with big yards about possibly setting up temporary housing for her so that I can go out and take care of her every day, but she can still get the room and outside time that she needs, but it really doesn't look promising there. I do appreciate the support it really makes me feel better. I just want what is best for her. I guess sometimes I have to set aside what is best for me and take what is best for her into account no matter how sad it makes me. :) I do have a great relationship with her. We take her just about everywhere with us. She has a little critter stroller she rides in and we put a pull up on her and off we go.. pull up is necessary so she doesn't flood us out LoL. She is a sweet baby. If my situation changes before I find her a suitable home I will keep her, but from what I heard this morning it may be another couple of years before we can move. :( Thank you again!

@tyrs4u: I wish you lived closer I could bring her over to visit and see if we could work something out. :) I am trying to talk my mom into letting me 'rent' some space in her back yard to keep her there and set up the the little house out there for her to get in when it is chilly or raining, but so far that is a no go. :(

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
reptile_luvr said:
@ Ascott: I do get her outside at least a couple of hours every day. I just worry that my situation won't change before she is too large to carry in and out on my own. I adore her, my whole family does, and it is just tearing me up. I really don't want to have to find her a new home. I am checking into some options with friends that live in houses with big yards about possibly setting up temporary housing for her so that I can go out and take care of her every day, but she can still get the room and outside time that she needs, but it really doesn't look promising there. I do appreciate the support it really makes me feel better. I just want what is best for her. I guess sometimes I have to set aside what is best for me and take what is best for her into account no matter how sad it makes me. :) I do have a great relationship with her. We take her just about everywhere with us. She has a little critter stroller she rides in and we put a pull up on her and off we go.. pull up is necessary so she doesn't flood us out LoL. She is a sweet baby. If my situation changes before I find her a suitable home I will keep her, but from what I heard this morning it may be another couple of years before we can move. :( Thank you again!

@tyrs4u: I wish you lived closer I could bring her over to visit and see if we could work something out. :) I am trying to talk my mom into letting me 'rent' some space in her back yard to keep her there and set up the the little house out there for her to get in when it is chilly or raining, but so far that is a no go. :(

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed that your mother changes her mind & just babysits her for you ... :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Stroller and pull ups?....LOL! That is commitment for sure.....I have a feeling where there is a will there is a way....I understand the tortoise before human concern and always agree what is best for the tortoise may not feel good for its human....good luck with mom....:D

And hey, if you train her right perhaps you can teach her to walk herself out of the apartment....maybe a pulley if you live upstairs...would that not be a sight? Duct tape a pillow to her shell and a helmet for her hoist up and down in the event the pulley gives when she is a big girl...lol...

But in all seriousness ....I do hope the best outcome for the two of you....

reptile_luvr

5 Year Member
Central Virginia, USA
LoL! That would be wonderful, but I don't think it will happen. She loves Makenna too, but she says I live too far from her and if something happened I wouldn't be able to get there in time. :( I am still working on her though lol..

tyrs4u said:
reptile_luvr said:

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed that your mother changes her mind & just babysits her for you ... :)

reptile_luvr

5 Year Member
Central Virginia, USA
LOL! Yeah and I will admit I have put clothes on her -_- BUT in my defense it was REALLY cold outside and we take her to our family functions so Christmas at mom's was no exception. It was cute. I took some pics on my phone and all my friends were telling me I am nuts lol! I thought it was cute! I put little bows on her shell sometimes.. I can't help it..lmao! And the pulley idea! I just burst out laughing and Makenna, the cats, and the rats all looked at me like I was crazy lol! That would be quite a sight to see! lol! Thank you hun you are great! Maybe things will work out, but if not I will have to find peace in the fact that I did was right for her.. after all that is why I got into rescue work. I won't lie, it will be very hard to let her go.

ascott said:
Stroller and pull ups?....LOL! That is commitment for sure.....I have a feeling where there is a will there is a way....I understand the tortoise before human concern and always agree what is best for the tortoise may not feel good for its human....good luck with mom....:D

And hey, if you train her right perhaps you can teach her to walk herself out of the apartment....maybe a pulley if you live upstairs...would that not be a sight? Duct tape a pillow to her shell and a helmet for her hoist up and down in the event the pulley gives when she is a big girl...lol...

But in all seriousness ....I do hope the best outcome for the two of you....

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thats heartbreaking, asscott is right. Hopefuly your mother or one of your friends can work something out goodluck.
If nothing falls thru i would love to take it.
Just keep us updated.

reptile_luvr

5 Year Member
Central Virginia, USA
Thank you hun. I am really working over my mother and my friends, but until I am sure I have a way to keep her I will keep looking to place her in a good home, because it breaks my heart but I do have to do what is best for her.

Jacob said:
Thats heartbreaking, asscott is right. Hopefuly your mother or one of your friends can work something out goodluck.
If nothing falls thru i would love to take it.
Just keep us updated.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
reptile_luvr said:
I have a beautiful Sulcata named Makenna. She came to me as a rescue a while back and my family and I just fell absolutely in love with her. We were supposed to be moving into a farm house this Summer with 2 acres of land that I could set up for her, but I received a call this morning to inform me that we would not be moving and this leaves me in an apartment for undisclosed amount of time. It is shattering my heart to have to find her a new home, but it is a must as I can not give her proper long term care in an apartment. According to my vet she is approximately 5 years old. She weighed just barely under 10 pounds in December, so I would imagine by now she weighs just over 10 pounds. She is very friendly, a great eater, and loves to follow you around outside as much as she loves to make you chase her down. ;) She adores having the back of her shell rubbed or very lightly scratched and will sit beside you for hours and let you do it. She is very active and fun to watch and always looks like she is smiling. If you are interested please let me know.

I live in South Carolina and would love to adopt your sullie. We have 3 acres and currently have a 3 year old named Jessie. there are pictures of her and enclosure on this forum. I would split the cost if you want to ship, delta dash would only take a couple of hours, not a bad price to pay for a great life. Let me know. Jay

Islandsaints

5 Year Member
Knotts Island
I live right outside Virginia Beach and would also LOVE to have her. I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Tracy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tracy:

I'm sure reptile_luvr would like to know a bit about you before making their decision to place the sulcata. Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us about you.

Islandsaints

5 Year Member
Knotts Island
emysemys said:
Hi Tracy:

I'm sure reptile_luvr would like to know a bit about you before making their decision to place the sulcata. Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us about you.

Thank you, I just did!
Tracy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
bpnnolan said:
Have you found a home yet?

Hi bpnnolan:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

nichelle

5 Year Member
Where are u located? We would give her a forever home huge fenced back yard! We are sorry that u are not able
To keep her please send me a email and I will give u other contact info [email protected]
We are awaiting your response we are so eager to get more info and pics

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
reptile_luvr said:

Hi! I'm very interested in your tortoise, Makenna. I live in a suburban home in Maryland, not far from Virginia. I have a big backyard, a vegetable garden, and a lot of room around the house for her. I would love to have Makenna as a pet and companion. Please email me at [email protected] or pm me. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.