Looking for Tortoise and habitat

Jennyrosesdad

I am looking to adopt a tortoise in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area...Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Jennyrosesdad

I have room for both indoor and outdoor habitats. I am seeking a species that would not mind interaction with children.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are not social creatures. They are happiest going about their business with all 4 feet on the ground. They don't like being constantly bothered or being picked up too much. They don't want company, especially from other tortoises. Another tortoise is simply competition for territory and food.

Keep a tortoise for the children to grow up with by all means. My husband was 7 when Joe came into his life 47 years ago and our children, now in their 20s, grew up with Joe. But don't have expectations of the tortoise being company, a play thing or something to take to show and tell at school. It's more something to care for and watch.

As for species, even the smallest need a minimum of 4'x6' (1.5 x2.2 metres) once they stop being babies after the first couple of years. Good beginner tortoises are the Testudo (Greek, Hermann's and Russians) as they are more straightforward to care for.

Take a look at these to see what is involved
Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care (care of all Testudo is broadly similar)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree that tortoises don't like being handled too much. But most get used to their keeper.
On the other side, tortoise live 55 years to over 100 depending on the species. A child's attention span is a lot shorter than that.

Whatever type you decide on we will help you get the enclosure(s) ready and help you avoid spending money on pet shop products that are not any good.