Looking for suggestions (what kind of tortoise?)

annastortoise

Hello,
I am an experienced tortoise RESEARCHER, but not yet a tort owner :( I am thinking of getting a Russian soon though. These seem to be good beginner torts, am I right?

:p I <3 Russians :p

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Hello,
I am an experienced tortoise RESEARCHER, but not yet a tort owner :( I am thinking of getting a Russian soon though. These seem to be good beginner torts, am I right?

Yes you are right, but with research & preparation any tortoise can be kept :D good luck!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
What species do you research?

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Russians do make great beginner pets, and with all your research, you are likely to be the best kind of owner. :)

-Jen

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
You're definitely on the right path doing tons of research, I wish i'd ended up here before I got 'Nank because I had to learn a lot quick as I went.

If you love Russians then they're the tort for you! They're full of personality and spunk. They're also indeed good beginner tortoises since they're tolerant to new owners learning.

You thinking youngin' or adult? and where from?

annastortoise

You're definitely on the right path doing tons of research, I wish i'd ended up here before I got 'Nank because I had to learn a lot quick as I went.

If you love Russians then they're the tort for you! They're full of personality and spunk. They're also indeed good beginner tortoises since they're tolerant to new owners learning.

You thinking youngin' or adult? and where from?
I was thinking of getting a baby from tortoise supply.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I was thinking of getting a baby from tortoise supply.

I got 'Nank as an adult from petco, the shipping idea scared me at the time. He's not shy anymore and interacts with me. So I don't have much to say about babies other than they're darn adorable and I want one some day!

turtlemanfla88

welcome congrats on doing your research. ever since I was a kid I would have to read about the animal I wanted and my parents would have me answer questions before I could have the animal. Everyone on here is really nice and helpful. I am in my forties and been keeping turtles and tortoises since I was five years old when you had to read and research not just surf the internet. Russians are easy I keep them for over 15 years.
In Florida it took me ten years to get them used to our wet springs and summers. They can handle cold weather just not wet and cold. I offer no fruits and no animal protein just veggies especially collards and turnip greens,squash,weeds and untreated grass/lawn, mulberry leaves,fig leaves,and once in awhile Mazuri tortoise chow. Also, they love pricky pear cactus spineless.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
(Stirring up sh*t here! :p) Russians are ALMOST as pretty as Hermans' torts, but not quite! I SUPPOSE a Russian will do!!! :) :) :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
(Stirring up sh*t here! :p) Russians are ALMOST as pretty as Hermans' torts, but not quite! I SUPPOSE a Russian will do!!! :) :) :)
LOL....red footed tortoises are amazing!! However I really haven't owned other species, but would love too. They have personality and are hardy! But I guess everyone says that about their torts:rolleyes: