Looking for my first tortoise. What to buy?? Nothing too large :) Michigan

gbuiting

I live in MI and am looking to buy my first tortoise. I am very excited and want one that is preferably a baby. he/she would be in an indoor setup beings where I live it can get cold, but in the summer i would definitely let him/her roam outside in an outdoor pen. I really want one that has a great personality and am not sure if there are specific breeds for this or if it's all about how you handle them. Any advice is much appreciated on what type to buy. :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Why a baby? An adult could still outlive you. Babies are more delicate, and any mistakes we make in keeping them are magnified. As a beginner, you might do better with a small juvenile or adult rather than a hatchling or yearling.

Petfinder often has russian tortoises in Michigan. Good tortoises to keep.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Talk to Chris from Garden state tortoise . I would go with a Russian tortoise . But keep in mind even a small Russian tortoise needs a 4'/8' enclosure .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I'm originally from MI and now live in Chicago, very similar weather. if you have the money and space, any tortoise will do fine in Michigan. However, for your first, a Russians would be a good choice. There are usually ones available on CL. They are adults though. Babies are a lot harder to come by.