Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just took in 2016 rescue #30. I THINK it's a stinkpot, but not sure:

2016 Rescue #30 a.jpg 2016 Rescue #30 b.jpg 2016 Rescue #30 c.jpg

No shipping. I'm located in Central California - Clovis.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Wish I lived by you. Love those guys!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yes, eastern musk turtle. I used to catch those as a kid. We had 2 clear bottom sand lakes down the road, you would see them walking along the bottom. They do make great little pets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, then, since there are so many of you who recognized this little guy, let me ask you another question. I usually give the water turtles to a guy here in town who has a 2 acre pond. He's got a little money, and his property is landscaped and maintained by gardeners. I've given him some pretty large RES in the past. Can this little turtle live in the pond with the large RES? or should I try to find him a different home.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I can't speak with experience but I got my mud turtle because her previous owner was concerned about the size difference with her RES.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I keep both Stinkpots and Razorback Musks in my pond with sliders, cooter, maps, etc. I've kept them in tanks with sliders, cooters too. They do great together except the reverse of what you suspect = In a small environment the Stinkpot are the tail biters! They will nip the tips of other turtle's tails. In a pond they would do great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's only a two hour drive.

Rue

Canada
Maybe you guys could meet in the middle? :)

Rue

Canada
Catch a ride with a friend? Stop someplace nice for coffee and a turtle handover?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Yvonne G We are talking about a musk turtle. Not something I am really excited about, but something that I would easily add to my group - so no enthusiasm for 6 hrs in the car EXCEPT I would love to meet you and see your collection. If your friend wants the turtle, or anyone else, go right ahead and give it to them. I will be driving to Huntington Beach to visit my daughter in the next 30 days or so. When I do, if you still have it, perhaps Brenda and I can stop by on our way back. I will let you know when I know when that will be. If you still have the musk, I will gladly take it, but don't hold it on my account.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please don't let us guilt you into it. I was only kidding. I've got a home for the turtle.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I keep both Stinkpots and Razorback Musks in my pond with sliders, cooter, maps, etc. I've kept them in tanks with sliders, cooters too. They do great together except the reverse of what you suspect = In a small environment the Stinkpot are the tail biters! They will nip the tips of other turtle's tails. In a pond they would do great.

My money is on the stinkpot, too!

I used to live near a dam on a small river. There were dead fish that would come thru and at night, big snappers would be there eating them. Among these 20-40 lb brutes would be a few stinkpots eating as well. The big guys didn't phase em.

Status
Not open for further replies.