Looking for a tortoise

emmaccap15

Hi I am new to the tortoise community but I have been looking to get a baby tortoise for maybe around $100 and I found one near me but the lady bailed on us at last minute! I am in Ohio but I would like to ship in from oit of state if needed. Please let me know if you have any! We are looking for one from a yearling to maybe 5 years old of a greek, russian, hermanns, or pancake tortoise! It will go to a good home!

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Just a suggestion, but you might want to narrow down your search. To say you want a tortoise of any breed is not going to make somebody want to sell you a tortoise. Different tortoises have different care requirements. And hatchlings are much more fragile than adults. And hatchlings off in a different care than adults. Check out the species specific section for some ideas. Then when you decide what species you want let us know.

emmaccap15

Just a suggestion, but you might want to narrow down your search. To say you want a tortoise of any breed is not going to make somebody want to sell you a tortoise. Different tortoises have different care requirements. And hatchlings are much more fragile than adults. And hatchlings off in a different care than adults. Check out the species specific section for some ideas. Then when you decide what species you want let us know.
Ok thank you for the help!!!!

emmaccap15

Hi I am new to the tortoise community but I have been looking to get a baby tortoise for maybe around $100 and I found one near me but the lady bailed on us at last minute! I am in Ohio but I would like to ship in from oit of state if needed. Please let me know if you have any! We are looking for one from a yearling to maybe 5 years old of a greek, russian, hermanns, or pancake tortoise! It will go to a good home!
Or a red foot

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Start by signing up with pet shelters in your area . There are 100s of sulcata tortoises needing homes . Box turtles show up in the shelters also . First you need to learn how to care for them . Then set up the right enclosure. Getting the tortoise is easy . The care they take is the hard part . Go to the section of the forum and look at care sheets we have posted . The make your choice. Then setup the enclosure. Then buy the tortoise . The setup will cost the most . Some of us have 1000s of dollars in our enclosures . There is no point in getting into tortoise if they keep dying on you. Start with the research . Most people don't think of the big picture . With tortoises it's a life style change . You have to learn plants , ecosystems, and microclimate in ecosystems. All of this plays a big part of tortoise healthcare. You got to ask yourself . Can I care for an animal that will out live me ? Do you have kids or someone you can trust to take care of them when you can't ? Its all something to think about . Check the cost of setup . Because that's the part that can cost anywhere from 100/ 1000 dollars to do right . Most stuff pet stores sell for tortoise care is wrong and will most likely kill your new pet . You have to be able to build your own . All the stuff we use mostly comes from Home depot or Lowe's. Read care sheets and save money on start up cost .

emmaccap15

Start by signing up with pet shelters in your area . There are 100s of sulcata tortoises needing homes . Box turtles show up in the shelters also . First you need to learn how to care for them . Then set up the right enclosure. Getting the tortoise is easy . The care they take is the hard part . Go to the section of the forum and look at care sheets we have posted . The make your choice. Then setup the enclosure. Then buy the tortoise . The setup will cost the most . Some of us have 1000s of dollars in our enclosures . There is no point in getting into tortoise if they keep dying on you. Start with the research . Most people don't think of the big picture . With tortoises it's a life style change . You have to learn plants , ecosystems, and microclimate in ecosystems. All of this plays a big part of tortoise healthcare. You got to ask yourself . Can I care for an animal that will out live me ? Do you have kids or someone you can trust to take care of them when you can't ? Its all something to think about . Check the cost of setup . Because that's the part that can cost anywhere from 100/ 1000 dollars to do right . Most stuff pet stores sell for tortoise care is wrong and will most likely kill your new pet . You have to be able to build your own . All the stuff we use mostly comes from Home depot or Lowe's. Read care sheets and save money on start up cost .
Hi thank you for all this advice it was really helpful! We already have a habitat setup due to the fact that we were supposed to be getting a 3 yr old Greek tortoise and we had everything set up for an outside enclosure as well. I just figured i would try on here because I don't seem to be having much luck finding any near me.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I have been looking to get a baby tortoise. It will go to a good home!
Hello Emma,(?)
I'm just guessing at your name here. I agree with all the prior posts, members have made to you. So I mainly want to make a rather blunt statement to you. Here it is…
PROVE IT ! !
You have listed a wide variety of tortoises that most of which require different types of foods and care to keep healthy and happy. Please go to the specie specific section for each of those specific tortoises and narrow down your search loaded with solid research provided freely and openly here on the forum. I don't want to come off as a "rude dude" here. My main motivation is to help you make a good decision on your future tortoise family member. One important thing to keep in mind, most tortoises live longer than their keepers. If you are a young person and looking at attending college in the future, will you be able to provide for your tortoise a stable home while you're in school? I'm guessing you're young. Will you be owning a house or are you currently buying one? Yes these are personal questions, and for that I truthfully apologize to you. These questions will us help you develop a healthy, solid relationship with your new family member.
After reading and studying these care sheets, ask us all any questions you have if you don't understand something. We'll be here to help answer them and eventually you too will be helping others. Please keep us updated here.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Zero in on a species.
Make sure you have a suitable enclosure already available and one that is large enough. (It might need to be larger than you are aware)
Then focus on that breed of tortoise.
I've found quite a few on my local Craigslist.
Good luck

Daphnevelma

10 Year Member!
Central California
Although large pet stores wouldn't be my first choice, sometimes people "surrender" tortoises to the large national stores. They are not suppose to resell them so they adopt them out. You might check there too.

Mimirose22

I am preparing to find a new owner for my Russian tortoise who is maybe 4 years old. I also have a fully built wood enclosure that I would be willing to sell. $100 might be a little low for my price range though. I am in northern Indiana, so there wouldn't be much of a distance.

sunshinedd8

I have a sulcata that I need to rehome. She is 12 years old but only about 12 lbs. I have had her almost 2 years but I am really not the right home for her and she needs to be with someone who knows what they are doing better than me. I have done my best with her but she still isnt growing and I dont think she is happy with the set-up that we are able to provide. I am in NY. You can email me if you are interested. [email protected]

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
I have a sulcata that I need to rehome. She is 12 years old but only about 12 lbs. I have had her almost 2 years but I am really not the right home for her and she needs to be with someone who knows what they are doing better than me. I have done my best with her but she still isnt growing and I dont think she is happy with the set-up that we are able to provide. I am in NY. You can email me if you are interested. [email protected]
No offense, but i do not think Ohio is a good place for sulcata either, you should find her a home in warmer southern states, i decided to not add more, they are tanks, a lot of people do not wish to plan ahead - they need lots of food and room, most northerners that do not grow food year around simply can not afford to feed them in the end and the tort probably ends up being bumped around, so find her a home in the south, california i would suggest, and make it permanent to someone with a chunk of land or a secure backyard like mine:) good luck, post it in adoption if you already have not :) best of wishes:)