Looking for a new reptile/amphibian pet.

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi guys recently I have been looking into getting another reptile/amphibian friend. I was thinking of more of the lines of a lizard/gecko or maybe a frog species. I would love to adopt one that needs to be rehomed.

What species of reptile/amphibian would you guys advice me on getting from your own experiences?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It depends on what you're looking for. Herbivore, insectivore, omnivore? Diurnal or nocturnal? What size?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I've always wanted a Chinese water dragon. I love toads. I think tree frogs would be neat. It is easier to keep an animal that doesn't require live food.

We had an iguana. His nails were very sharp so it was difficult to handle him. I wouldn't want to get another.

I've had tiny frogs and lizards. Both were a lot of fun.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've always wanted a Chinese water dragon. I love toads. I think tree frogs would be neat. It is easier to keep an animal that doesn't require live food.

We had an iguana. His nails were very sharp so it was difficult to handle him. I wouldn't want to get another.

I've had tiny frogs and lizards. Both were a lot of fun.
Check out the blue tongued skink. They are omnivores but don't require live food.

gabby.santana

California
I was thinking of a salamander or a newt they are so cute! Yea I definitely don't want an iguana! When I was a really young kid I remember my neighbors having some and they would just release them after a while.

I was thinking of something small and I don't mind feeding live food, I already have a box turtle that I feed live earth worms and meal worms

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I was thinking of a salamander or a newt they are so cute! Yea I definitely don't want an iguana! When I was a really young kid I remember my neighbors having some and they would just release them after a while.

I was thinking of something small and I don't mind feeding live food, I already have a box turtle that I feed live earth worms and meal worms
I've always wanted a tiger salamander. There's always the leopard gecko.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Crested geckos are awesome.
But bearded dragons and blue tongued skinks are really great too.

Personally, I've always had a soft spot for any of those "sticky" feet kinda creatures.
Tree frogs, crested geckos, anoles, etc. they're just so amazing!!!

Don't get a bearded dragon, although they are wonderful and sweet, they cost a fortune to feed. Ours eats 150 ($16 worth) crickets every week on top of salad, superworms, and occasionally he get dubias roaches. If money isn't a problem, nor time, a bearded dragon would be great- they are very sweet and loving reptiles