Looking for a new box turtle

barroncourtney45

5 Year Member
Where is a good place to buy a box turtle? Is anyone here selling? And are box turtle babies as hard to take care of as tortoise babies if I was going to get one? Also should I keep the new turtle away from the one I currently have. It's a female ornate box turtle. Thanks

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
@HermanniChris has some babies hatching in August. @Saleama also has lots of babies he's looking to rehome.

Here's a thread about boxie hatchling care that has been pretty informative going on over the last week or so. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/boxie-hatchling-care.95351/

All new additions should be quarantined for a few months to prevent illness. After that period, if your turtles are of similar size you could possibly house together, but be prepared to separate if there are issues. I'm not sure if box turtles have the same pair issues as tortoises. If you have a hatchling and adult, they should be separate until the baby is of a comparable size.

Last edited:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Way too many "ifs" in your OP to answer any of your questions accurately. For example: I have plenty of available babies but your location would determine if one were available to you. Where are you located? The age and living arrangements of your current turtle would be required to determine if a new box turtle would be able to live in the same enclosure. If she is in an indoor smaller area then no. They should not live together. if in a big outdoor then sure, why not. That would lead to other issues though. For instance, my babies are a year old. They would disappear in an instant in a huge outdoor area and should be kept inside in their own setup.

barroncourtney45

5 Year Member
Way too many "ifs" in your OP to answer any of your questions accurately. For example: I have plenty of available babies but your location would determine if one were available to you. Where are you located? The age and living arrangements of your current turtle would be required to determine if a new box turtle would be able to live in the same enclosure. If she is in an indoor smaller area then no. They should not live together. if in a big outdoor then sure, why not. That would lead to other issues though. For instance, my babies are a year old. They would disappear in an instant in a huge outdoor area and should be kept inside in their own setup.
I am located in McKinney, Texas. I'm not sure of the age but she is in a 3 ft long rubber maid container right now. I was possibly thinking about making it 2 stories or connecting 2 together if I were to have 2 turtles in the same space. I found some turtles online at kingsnake. Are they a reliable source to buy from?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I am located in McKinney, Texas. I'm not sure of the age but she is in a 3 ft long rubber maid container right now. I was possibly thinking about making it 2 stories or connecting 2 together if I were to have 2 turtles in the same space. I found some turtles online at kingsnake. Are they a reliable source to buy from?
That depends. Like anywhere, there are good resources and bad on Kingsnake. I personally have never bought from there but I have heard more good than bad. of course, the bad means you are out money or get a sick turtle. I am in Irving. If you have a good habitat available and can convince me you are a good turtle companion I would be happy to let you choose one of my babies to bring home.

barroncourtney45

5 Year Member
That depends. Like anywhere, there are good resources and bad on Kingsnake. I personally have never bought from there but I have heard more good than bad. of course, the bad means you are out money or get a sick turtle. I am in Irving. If you have a good habitat available and can convince me you are a good turtle companion I would be happy to let you choose one of my babies to bring home.
Ok thank you. I will get back to you on this after a little bit more research.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Ok thank you. I will get back to you on this after a little bit more research.
No problem. You can look at some of my enclosures here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/baby-pics.95775/#post-891699. @terryo has some incredible indoor and outdoor setups that most of us just try to get close to. For the record, all of my babies are eating their fruits and veggies as well as dead and live proteins. they are well established, healthy babies. I would not let them go otherwise. I have 2 pretty small ones that still look like babies and three that are starting to get their juvenile look and are around 3 inches, even though they are the same age. I am also expecting around 10 - 20 more hatchlings this summer that will be ready next spring.

barroncourtney45

5 Year Member
No problem. You can look at some of my enclosures here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/baby-pics.95775/#post-891699. @terryo has some incredible indoor and outdoor setups that most of us just try to get close to. For the record, all of my babies are eating their fruits and veggies as well as dead and live proteins. they are well established, healthy babies. I would not let them go otherwise. I have 2 pretty small ones that still look like babies and three that are starting to get their juvenile look and are around 3 inches, even though they are the same age. I am also expecting around 10 - 20 more hatchlings this summer that will be ready next spring.
How much would you be selling one of your smallest ones for?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
How much would you be selling one of your smallest ones for?
I don't sell them. They go to good homes and to people who promise to care for them. I might ask a rehoming fee in the future if I decide to ship them, but for now, I do not require one from those who promise: A) To care for them as much as I do. B)To provide a good home including outdoor and indoor housing when applicable. and C) Promise to contact me if they can no longer care for the turtle and return it to me. All to often you see people turn around and sell these little guys on craigslist. It's sad really. I don't want that sort of random chance for a good home for my babies. My Uncle used to handle distribution and we had 16 out of 19 die from lack of decent care. The three that lived I rescued from the people who had them before they could die but they will never live the quality of life they deserve. As such, I must insist on only one per household though. :)

barroncourtney45

5 Year Member
Well that's even better. That gives me more money to spoil the turtle with. I will definitely care for them and provide a good enclosure. I will for sure contact you if I could no longer care for it. I had a aquatic turtle that I could no longer care for but I re homed it to someone who is giving it a great life now. Can I message you later if I'm interested? I have to talk it over with my parents

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Well that's even better. That gives me more money to spoil the turtle with. I will definitely care for them and provide a good enclosure. I will for sure contact you if I could no longer care for it. I had a aquatic turtle that I could no longer care for but I re homed it to someone who is giving it a great life now. Can I message you later if I'm interested? I have to talk it over with my parents
Sure. Just let me know. Since you are a minor (I assume) I would require that at least one of your parents be with you when picking up the turtle. I generally arrange the meeting at a local Petsmart. It is a safe place with cameras and they allow animals in the store if it is too hot or cold outside. :)