Looking for a great Greek Tortoise Book!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mues155

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
Although caresheets are abundant I do still love a great book on husbandry and pet care of an animal.
Does anyone know what the best greek tortoise book is on the market? Preferrable one that can be found on amazon.
And if anyone knows of a Hermann's one either? (im still not 100% sure on which I'm going to get :))
Thanks in advance!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There is no book that I am aware of that deals solely with the care of Greek tortoises. The reason for that may be that there are several subspecies of Greeks, anywhere from about 7-20 depending upon which taxonomy you want to accept. They cover a vast geographical range that encompasses North Africa, The Middle East and Northern Mediterranean. Within those geographic areas the tortoises inhabit a variety of environments.

You'll find many books on Mediterranean and/or Testudo species tortoises. All that deal with the general care of Testudo species in captivity. Some have more detailed species specific care, but few go into great depth.

As far as Hermann's tortoises, there are a couple of more recent very good, very in depth books available.

Here are some that I have or know of:

"Mediterranean Tortoises", by Lance Jepson

"Mediterranean Tortoises", by Brian Pursall

"Hermann's Tortoise, Boettger's and Dalmatian Tortoises: Testudo boettgeri, hercegovinensis and hermanni", by Holger Vetter

"Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's tortoises", by Wolfgang Wegehaupt

There will also be a new book coming out soon entitled: "Mediterranean Tortoises", by Jerry Fife a well known American tortoise keeper and breeder.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
^^I have Brian Pursall's Mediterranean Tortoises, too, and I really like it, although it does contain just a few errors. I haven't read Jepson's book with that title, but I would like to buy it at some point.

I also have E.J. Pirog's book, Russian Tortoises: A Complete Guide to Testudo. That's a good one, as well. :)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I have this book:
"Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's tortoises", by Wolfgang Wegehaupt. It's very good, but is also very specific to Hermann's tortoises. It is ideal for an outdoor keeper of tortoises in northern latitudes.

I also have E.J. Pirog's book, Russian Tortoises: A Complete Guide to Testudo. I agree with GeoTerraTestudo, it's pretty good.

Beyond pet care, I would love to see a good, comprehensive book dedicated to greek tortoises. Unfortunately, most of their natural range is inhospitable to westerners right now, so hopefully someone like Omar Attum will write one. I guess Andy Highfield probably has enough field experience to write a book. Maybe those two should write one together!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
GBtortoises said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Wow, Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hermann's Tortoises by Wolfgang Wegehaupt looks great:

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/produ...ping-and-Breeding-of-Hermanns-Tortoises".html

When I have $100 I can drop on a book, I might get it.

You should be able to find it for much less than that. I just checked and it's $60.00 on Amazon and may be less elsewhere.

I don't remember what I paid but it was far less than $100.

Ah, so it is:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/3980977447/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Good to know. :)

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
Thanks guys your replys are very helpful!
Im just about to browse these books and hopefully make a selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.