Looking for a good starter tortoise to adopt

I live in Amarillo,TX and am looking to find a good starter tortoise to adopt. I've done a lot of research and have all necessities needed to house a tortoise (preferably a hatchling). I feel that I would do good with a Sulcata Tortoise and I know that they get big and I'm prepared for that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, a good starter tortoise is a russians, greek even hermanns. However, they don't get anywhere near the size of a sulcata. If you want to adopt one, you shouldn't have any problems finding larger ones to adopt. As for a hatchling, most likely you will have to purchase one. You might check out craigslist for a hatchling or possibly a yearly that needs to find a better home. Either way, please read Toms threads below about raising a sulcata the right way.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sulcatas are great, but have many challenges. They need high humidity to grow smooth, and boy do they grow. They're fairly destructive. They burrow which is a challenge as well. Do plenty of research so you're sure you know what you're getting into. They can live for over 100 years, so this isn't a short term pet.
Welcome to the forum.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What equipment do you currently have for housing a tortoise? Do you have enclosures,(indoor and outdoor)?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well if you're sure you're ready, have done all you research, have prepared enclosures in advance and are aware that this is a lifelong commitment, than good luck to you. Go for it.
But a smaller Mediterranean species may be better as a good starter tortoise.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I see a good amount of yearling to 3 yr old sulcatas on craigslist. People buy them thinking a large tort will be cool and then the realize how fast they grow.....you might get lucky there.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Can you upload pictures? If so, I'd like a photo of the basking light you have. Now, what is the “food to last a month" that you have?
A 15 gallon tank might be good beta fish, but it is in entirely too small for any tortoise unless it's being used to transport the tortoise in a car.
Here is a good idea. It seems you've gotten old or just plain incorrect information concerning the care of a tortoise. Don't worry, most folks have. That's why this forum was developed, to help turtle/tortoise owners (and turtles/turtles themselves) learn and share knowledge in a collective way. While browsing the tortoise forum, you will find that most species have a care sheet at the beginning of each section. These are, although maybe not finished in some cases, excellent starting points to gather information and learn. Read threads and ask questions for clarity. Topically these care sheets are peer reviewed before being set as a care sheet. The Internet Machine is a resource for many things. Caring of animals is not one of them. Do a search for what to feed a dog and holy cow will you get all kinds of differing opinions.

Can you upload pictures? If so, I'd like a photo of the basking light you have. Now, what is the “food to last a month" that you have?
A 15 gallon tank might be good beta fish, but it is in entirely too small for any tortoise unless it's being used to transport the tortoise in a car.
Here is a good idea. It seems you've gotten old or just plain incorrect information concerning the care of a tortoise. Don't worry, most folks have. That's why this forum was developed, to help turtle/tortoise owners (and turtles/turtles themselves) learn and share knowledge in a collective way. While browsing the tortoise forum, you will find that most species have a care sheet at the beginning of each section. These are, although maybe not finished in some cases, excellent starting points to gather information and learn. Read threads and ask questions for clarity. Topically t

unfortunately I can not upload pictures. The food I have is dandelions, wheat grass, a few fruits and mulberries. Also how big of tank should I get?

Well, a good starter tortoise is a russians, greek even hermanns. However, they don't get anywhere near the size of a sulcata. If you want to adopt one, you shouldn't have any problems finding larger ones to adopt. As for a hatchling, most likely you will have to purchase one. You might check out craigslist for a hatchling or possibly a yearly that needs to find a better home. Either way, please read Toms threads below about raising a sulcata the right way.

Thanks for the advice and the thread was very helpful. ;)

Here is a good idea. It seems you've gotten old or just plain incorrect information concerning the care of a tortoise. Don't worry, most folks have. That's why this forum was developed, to help turtle/tortoise owners (and turtles/turtles themselves) learn and share knowledge in a collective way. While browsing the tortoise forum, you will find that most species have a care sheet at the beginning of each section. These are, although maybe not finished in some cases, excellent starting points to gather information and learn. Read threads and ask questions for clarity. Topically these care sheets are peer reviewed before being set as a care sheet. The Internet Machine is a resource for many things. Caring of animals is not one of them. Do a search for what to feed a dog and holy cow will you get all kinds of differing opinions.

unfortunately I can not upload pictures. for food I have wheat grass, dandelions, mulberries, and a little bit of fruits. Also how big of a tank should I get?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
When you say mulberries, does that mean you havea mulberry tree? The leaves are great food item for just about any kind of tort where the berries will be good for the fruit eating ones. A general good size for enclosure will depend on the species you get but 4x8 is a good place to start, most "tank" do not work out well for the tort.... would be like a human living only in a small bedroom its whole life. Hopefully you have some good space outside for daytime.

When you say mulberries, does that mean you havea mulberry tree? The leaves are great food item for just about any kind of tort where the berries will be good for the fruit eating ones. A general good size for enclosure will depend on the species you get but 4x8 is a good place to start, most "tank" do not work out well for the tort.... would be like a human living only in a small bedroom its whole life. Hopefully you have some good space outside for daytime.

A mulberry tree and I'm almost finished on my outdoor enclosure.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
A mulberry tree and I'm almost finished on my outdoor enclosure.
That's a good start but that 15 gallon tank is a horrible horrible idea. Even a day old hatchling needs a 40gallon breeder tank and that will only last a month or two.

Forget all about glass tanks. They're too small and cost too much money. Hit a Walmart or something and get the largest plastic tub storage bin you can find, the more floor space the better.

That's a good start but that 15 gallon tank is a horrible horrible idea. Even a day old hatchling needs a 40gallon breeder tank and that will only last a month or two.

Forget all about glass tanks. They're too small and cost too much money. Hit a Walmart or something and get the largest plastic tub storage bin you can find, the more floor space the better.

thanks that's a great idea.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
thanks that's a great idea.
Take a look at the enclosure section of this board. You will spend hours and hours looking through different ideas. Most are low cost options that are way better than a viv or aquarium. No body says a good set has to cost a lot of money. Generally speaking, you can build/make a bigger and better set up for less money that the starter kits at the pet store.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Here is the problem: When you say you've done "...a lot of research.", it worries me. Everything you read, including the posts on this forum are just one person's opinion. How do you know what to believe. So much of the info out there in the world in in direct conflict. So whose opinion did you read and what advice are you following?

I already see two HUGE red flags. Your talking about a sulcata, but you say you have a 15 gallon tank and a diet of half fruit. Even with all the conflicting info out there, nobody recommends a 15 gallon tank and no body recommends feeding mulberries or other fruit to sulcatas, so it seems like your research led you in the wrong direction.

I say these things not to be mean, but to try and help make sure your first tortoise experience is a positive one for both you AND the tortoise. Here are some care sheets and general tortoise info that will help you have a happy, healthy tortoise:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/