Looking for a good home for my red footed tortoise

capenn

I am looking for a good home for my red footed tortoise. He is about 7 years old. I am not actually positive he is a he, but I always called him that. I am hoping to find somebody who really knows about tortoises. I have limited knowledge myself, but was left with him and I've been doing my best to care for him. I feel he could use a much better living environment; one with more space and freedom to move around. He loves exploring, and I like to let him do so, but I really think he needs to be with somebody who can give him more attention and space. And for anyone who would like to adopt him, I just ask that you keep in touch with me, at least for a little while, so that I know he is doing well. Please let me know if you are interested. I am from central PA, and I would be willing to travel a little distance to get him to a new home. I also would be willing to ship him, if somebody knows exactly what I have to do to ship him safely, as I have no idea. Thanks!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would say post some pictures of the little guy . There was a person a week or two ago looking to adopt a red foot . I can't remember the name but hopefully they will see your post . If he was closer to Texas I would take him .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wjineastky is the user name just found them .

Location (City and/or State)
Wilkes Barre PA
Hey there. First off its a great thing that you realized he needed a better home. I wish more pet owners were like you! Secondly I live in north east PA. I'm not a total expert on torts or anything but I love them all . I have a Russian and red ear slider. I just built a 6 foot enclosure for my Russian. There is lots of room still open. I just adopted my Russian because a couple could not care for her due to moving. If your interested in me as a adoptee please shoot me a message. I love and care for all my pets big time. I'm very resposnable with all of them. Regular vet visits and I accommodate all their needs. Again thank you for being a responsible pet owner like that. Thanks. Hope to hear from ya.
-Jason

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Send him to Texas and Mike Taylor and I can arm wrestle for him. I just built an outdoor enclosure for Redfoots but mine 2 rf are still small and won't be hanging outside for another year.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Anthony ill take him or her! I myself actually live close to you i'm in Middletown NY it would take me 20 minutes to get to matormortas in PA I have the room and I have an adult pair myself! call me my # is 1 845 820-7614

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
If only you were in Texas. Me, Mike Taylor and Tordad could draw straws for him. I'd win though ;-) Seriously, I hope you find a great home for him. Good luck.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I would be interested in your red foot. I have a herd of them and just love them. I will send you a pm.

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
I am looking for a good home for my red footed tortoise. He is about 7 years old. I am not actually positive he is a he, but I always called him that. I am hoping to find somebody who really knows about tortoises. I have limited knowledge myself, but was left with him and I've been doing my best to care for him. I feel he could use a much better living environment; one with more space and freedom to move around. He loves exploring, and I like to let him do so, but I really think he needs to be with somebody who can give him more attention and space. And for anyone who would like to adopt him, I just ask that you keep in touch with me, at least for a little while, so that I know he is doing well. Please let me know if you are interested. I am from central PA, and I would be willing to travel a little distance to get him to a new home. I also would be willing to ship him, if somebody knows exactly what I have to do to ship him safely, as I have no idea. Thanks!
I would love to give your tortoise a loving new home! You'd have to ship him (or her) out to me by UPS that would deliver no later than the second day after you shipped him for him to arrive in optimum condition. I'd keep him housed inside over the winter months (I live alone), and I have a fenced- in yard he could explore during the warmer times of the year.
Would you be willing to adopt him out to me? :) I'll give you my shipping address if you want it.

capenn

I would love to give your tortoise a loving new home! You'd have to ship him (or her) out to me by UPS that would deliver no later than the second day after you shipped him for him to arrive in optimum condition. I'd keep him housed inside over the winter months (I live alone), and I have a fenced- in yard he could explore during the warmer times of the year.
Would you be willing to adopt him out to me? :) I'll give you my shipping address if you want it.
Can you please tell me what your indoor enclosure looks like, and how much space it has? Also, do you have the supplies, such as lighting, etc? I just want to make sure my tortoise is going to someone who knows how to properly care for him and can give him adequate housing. Thanks!

capenn

Wjineastky is the user name just found them .
Thanks for the info. I asked him some questions, b/c I want to make sure Theodore goes to someone who knows what all he needs. I have had a few offers, so i am exploring them right now. Thank you for your help!

capenn

Hey there. First off its a great thing that you realized he needed a better home. I wish more pet owners were like you! Secondly I live in north east PA. I'm not a total expert on torts or anything but I love them all . I have a Russian and red ear slider. I just built a 6 foot enclosure for my Russian. There is lots of room still open. I just adopted my Russian because a couple could not care for her due to moving. If your interested in me as a adoptee please shoot me a message. I love and care for all my pets big time. I'm very resposnable with all of them. Regular vet visits and I accommodate all their needs. Again thank you for being a responsible pet owner like that. Thanks. Hope to hear from ya.
-Jason
Thank you for your offer. I am considering all the offers right now. Would my Theodore be able to get outside with you sometimes?

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Can you please tell me what your indoor enclosure looks like, and how much space it has? Also, do you have the supplies, such as lighting, etc? I just want to make sure my tortoise is going to someone who knows how to properly care for him and can give him adequate housing. Thanks!
I actually intended to let him just stay loose in the trailer until night time, then he would be put into a habitat I made out of a 5 1/2' childs swimming pool filled with enough topsoil to make a turtle believe it's in the woods. This includes several rocks, a couple of hiding places, and two shallow dishes kept filled with water.
As far as lighting goes, I have a full- spectrum bulb over the habitat, and room lighting, besides.
Hope my setup meets your expectations? I'm still working on improving it, but as I am disabled, I will have to do so month by month.

Thanks,
JWineastKY

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If you really are willing to ship I have both and indoor and outdoor set up for reds. All lamps and lights and in fact last night I started building a larger indoor enclosure. This one will be about 40 square feet. My out door set up is about 100 square feet.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

capenn

I actually intended to let him just stay loose in the trailer until night time, then he would be put into a habitat I made out of a 5 1/2' childs swimming pool filled with enough topsoil to make a turtle believe it's in the woods. This includes several rocks, a couple of hiding places, and two shallow dishes kept filled with water.
As far as lighting goes, I have a full- spectrum bulb over the habitat, and room lighting, besides.
Hope my setup meets your expectations? I'm still working on improving it, but as I am disabled, I will have to do so month by month.

Thanks,
JWineastKY
You sound perfect for Theodore. Just a piece of advice. . Don't let him out too long during the day, or he will pee all over the place. :) I will find out about the shipping stuff and get back to you.

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
You sound perfect for Theodore. Just a piece of advice. . Don't let him out too long during the day, or he will pee all over the place. :) I will find out about the shipping stuff and get back to you.
My very sincere thanks! :-D I wanted to offer him the best I had, but wasn't sure if it was acceptable to you. Glad it was! :)

capenn

My very sincere thanks! :-D I wanted to offer him the best I had, but wasn't sure if it was acceptable to you. Glad it was! :)
I'm not snobby or anything, I just really care about my animals and want to make sure he is well taken care of. I trust you will do that.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Hi i'm back I hope i'm not to late well I just finished completing a total over all of my red footed tortoises indoor enclosure! here is some pictures of it the indoor enclosure has plenty of hiding spots where they go to be alone and sleep and it also has a water pond on top which will drain into a bucket when I change it! also here are some pictures of their outside enclosure as well this is were they spend spring summer and fall and just to let you know by the way if there is any slight chance of cold they come in at night! so far this summer and fall they have been in almost every night its just the weather has been bad! well as you can see its fully equipped with a water fall which is in the last picture and that is also my breakfast and hanging out area and believe me when were their hanging out they come to hang out too! its cool it starts off in the garden where I grow all my vegetables for them and it goes all the way around to my breakfast area so these guys are never bored believe me on that! also here is their winter enclosure also yes this is a reptile room my red foots share the whole room with others as you can see. well I do live close and you wont have to ship think about it right now I have 1.1 adults it would be nice to have another I think they would like more company also! bye Anthony (grogansilver) 1 845 820-7614 [URL=http://s261.photobucket.com/user/grogansilver/media/IMG_36501_zps5729fc87.jpg.html] [/URL]

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
I'm not snobby or anything, I just really care about my animals and want to make sure he is well taken care of. I trust you will do that.
I will take the best care of him that I know how to! :)
Did you yet learn about shipping? I was also going to advise you that if you used UPS that they don't deliver on the weekends. Only USPS delivers on Saturdays. I'm not sure which would be cheaper, but if you chose UPS, it would be best not to ship until Monday. that way Theodore wouldn't get stuck waiting anywhere for any length of time. I don't want him to get sick or hurt! :)